• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lost Reverse!

dirtjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 86 Cherokee with the 2.5 4 banger and an I believe 904 auto trans. I have lost reverse It still shifts threw the forward gears and goes just dosent have reverse at all. I have topped of the fluid and added a full bottle of lucas but still no reverse at all. Is there anything I can adjust, tighten a band? Just looking for a fix till I can save up the cash to have it rebuilt. Is there any other transmissions that I can swap in? I found a rebuilt trans for an 88 pretty cheap would that work?

My knowledge base goes back to Renix vintage XJs but for the cost of rebuilding your transmission, (spendy) you would probably be able to purchase an entire later model XJ with the 4.0 and the AW4. Swapping in a salvage yard tranny is also an option if you can locate one. I don't believe that an 88 tranny will work with your 86.

Yeah a rebuild is $650 and that dosent work on unemployement! Just looking to keep it going till I hopefully start a new job in March. Then get it rebuilt or replaced.

Back