• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic transmission gear question...

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 99 XJ with the 4.0 under the hood and I have an automatic transmission. I also have a 4.5 inch lift with 33x12.50x15 tires. Grear ratio is stock(3.55). No locker. When I go out wheelin I sometimes throw the trans into 1st or 2nd gear while im in 4low depending on how much speed and power i need to climb a huge sand dune or whatever it is im trying to get up. When I leave it in D or drive my rig boggs down and stops due to lack of power and the wheels just stop spinning. I do wheel my rig hardcore which means im on the gas all the way so i can keep the rpms up around 3 grand. Is driving my jeep in 1st or 2nd gear at 3,000rpms bad when climbing something. Should i just wheel in D or drive? What Should I be using 1st or 2nd gear for when wheeling?? Thanks in advance guys and maybe girls if there are any the reply to this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3000 rpms is ok. idk, does someone know if theres a limiter?, if youre hitting it, trying to go faster, thats no good.

Threre is a limiter. I belive it's 5,000rpms, I've been that high at times to. I try to keep it under 4,000rpms if possible.

the 4.0 will live fine at 3K, that's what I turn all the time in 1st and 4lo.
your trans however is taking a beating trying to deal with all that torque.
I'd seriously consider regearing to save your trans.

I have been looking into regearing my rig but here in new jersey everyone wants $400-$500 per axle to do my ring and pinion. Thats not even including the parts just labor! Thats carzy!!!

if your rig isn't a daily driver find out if the cost will come down if you pull the axles off and bring them in for them to work on. I know a few guys around here will drop a few bucks off since they can just put the axle on a table/rack and work, as opposed to working at eye level or above.
also look into axles from a 2.5L XJ/YJ... they would have come with 4.10's and it may be cheaper for you to get those, put them in yourself and maybe bring your current ones in and not loose all that much money.

The rev limiter should be set around 5200rpm or so. Thats where it cuts mine off at in my 91. So long as you keep the rpms from going off into the red on the tach you will be fine. My stroker sees 4k to 5k on a regular basis, offroad on steep hill climbs and sand or beating off a ricer/drag racing, or just goofing off, and its been fine for the last 2 years. The factory built the motor to run in a set rpm range 0 to 5k and as long as you stay in that range the motor will live.

AARON

My rig is a 99 with the 4.0. I shift between 1st and then theres 2nd/3rd gear but i never actually hear the trans switch into 3rd gear.

Back