• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mods on CPS

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
1992 CHEROKEE
4.0 L with 5 speed
307 gears
has any one done any mods to there CPS as far as slotting the bolt holes. or any thing like this did a search but nothing came as far as a mod.And they dont make a hi alt sencor from what I cant find for a 92 up. From what I have read on a renix it was like 2 dregess adv.Looking for any info that mite help thank .

sry, but why would u want to do this....cherokees have enough problems with crank sensors crapping out on us.

the CPS bolts to the bell housing, there is no way to adjust it

Last edited:
it uses both cam and crank, if the computer sees one of them off it will adjust the timing right back to where is wants it. the only way to adjust timing is to go piggyback computer of full standalone

not trying to brag or think i am high and mighty. i work as a tech for jeep. on all the chrysler websites it was that the computer will always correct the timing back to oem specs. but thats through moving the distributor. so honestly i dunno what would happen if you only moved the cps. wonder if it would throw a cam/crank out of sync code.

according to this article, the computer initially learns the difference between the cam and crank pulses so that it can detect misfires later, and says nothing about correcting the timing. however it does say the cam sensor only has two lobes, which means it couldn't control timing anyway

TurboCity sold a CPS that was slotted and gave a couple of degrees of advance. The computer cannot adjust if you physically move the pickup. The Renix high altitude CPS advanced the timing by moving the pickup.

that was what i was thinking about doing . you can only move the cps verry little. because of the hole size and the leaght of the bracket.

sorry I should have thought more. you would need to measure distance from center of shaft to middle of CPS (ignore flywheel dimension), calculate circumference from that, divide by 360, and that will tell you how far the CPS has to be moved for every 1 degree

Back