• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj reese hitch

ChrisMcInerney

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a class 3 hitch on a 2000 xj sport 4.0l . if we put it on like the instructions say to and torque it down, it well bent the flange on the frame. it has spacers included in the kit but does not say to use them.

any help?
do I put the spacers in

I'm not sure on the spacer thing. However, is it the bolt-together one like they sell at Wally World and such? If so, you may want to weld it where it slips together too.. Ask me how I know :D

By bending the flange, do you mean the lip at the back of the "frame" rail? If so, I'd just mount it up and torque it down. I wouldn't use the spacers if it doesn't say to for your XJ. Those hitches fit numerous vehicles, so it includes ALOT of extra stuff. The one I used was installed on my ZJ. The mounting is almost identical. Just make sure before you snug it up, that the brackets are mounted the right way, and the holes line up on the slides.

I ran into the same prob with my rear aftermarket bumper. I ended up just torquing it down, and it sandwiched the little lip. You could just cut little slits to make it bend better.

Once installed, you will discover that your Reese one-size-fits-many-vehicles hitch will hang down far enough to plow local corn fields.

For the same amount of money you can get a fully welded, XJ specific tow hitch, that tucks up right underneath the bumper and fits perfectly onto the frame rails. Draw-Tite, U-Haul, Hidden Hitch, Valley, and Curt all make custom fit XJ hitches.

Last edited:
It won't weaken the frame. But yes, it will hang pretty low. Have you tried Craigslist or a JY to try to find an XJ-specific hitch? They can usually be had used pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Back