• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ High steer knuckle

Tcarsten

NAXJA Forum User
A guy here in Co says that he got a high steer knuckle from a WJ
and he was gonnna use it on his XJ
just wondered if the D30's are the same and if it would actually work???
What year would i find one off of??

It can work but it is not as simple as just putting it on there. I just got finished swapping WJ knuckes and brakes onto my XJ. Search "WJ knuckle swap" in thread titles only with advanced search, there are several build threads.

You will need:
Both knuckles from a '99-'04 WJ
Spacers from JKS to space the hub off the knuckle.
WJ ball joints
WJ brakes. Rotors (re-drilled to 5 on 4.5), calipers, and caliper brackets. There were 2 types of calipers used on WJ's, the newer ones are slightly better but may not clear 15" wheels. Search "teves" to see threads on the different calipers.
XJ unit hubs.
Re-locate axle end of tracbar to stay parallel with the drag link.
New tie rod and drag link, some people use 1-ton stuff and JKS offers links for use with stock WJ rod ends.
Re-locate sway bar links.
Decide if you want to run the steering links over or under the knuckle.

That's just a rough list, seems like every one is a little different. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

Last edited:
Ok that is some where to start.
I also want to do this with my YJ

Know anything about that???

Thanks I will be asking lots of???

From what I have read the process is similar on a YJ, you just have to make sure none of the links interfere with the leaf springs.

I'm glad this is on here. I have never seen on any of the threads I have read on this subject if 15 inch wheels will clear the larger brakes after doing this mod. Anybody have any input on that?

I'm glad this is on here. I have never seen on any of the threads I have read on this subject if 15 inch wheels will clear the larger brakes after doing this mod. Anybody have any input on that?

You must not have looked at very many threads then.

It really depends on the wheels. My 15" steelies with 3.75" backspacing clear the akebono with minimal grinding of the calipers. They don't clear by much though. The general consensus seems to be 3.75" backspacing or less seems to clear...

Perhaps you should just peruse through our boards for a little bit before asking anything else.

That's nice
Ill be sure not to ask you anything

Welcome to NAXJA. Get used to it.

There are plenty of "Newbie, read here" threads/stickies for you to check out. The search function is tricky at first, but will become your best friend soon.

There are THOUSANDS of useful threads on here (and thousands of non-useful ones too :D) - get used to people telling you to search for stuff, as things usually get repeated a dozen times and folks get tired of repeating themselves like a broken record.

:wave:

So i went to the JY today to try and find everything.
Every 99-04 WJ was missing the whole front axle.
So i went to FN jeep up the road and was only able to find the passenger side knuckle.
I guess I wont get to start this this weekend.

So i went to the JY today to try and find everything.
Every 99-04 WJ was missing the whole front axle.
So i went to FN jeep up the road and was only able to find the passenger side knuckle.
I guess I wont get to start this this weekend.

Won't help you for this weekend, but try to do a search using car-parts.com. I found the knuckles for my swap from a yard in Erie (sorry I don't remember the name for them). I paid for them via credit card and they shipped them to me. You might be able to find something closer to you that you could go pick up.

The setups and how things go together can be a little different depending on some of the parts you use. There is a recent thread about it where a few of us compiled various parts list. Worth a look. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004721

Back