• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a reasonable priced 5 point harness

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Just spent $300 on some Race trim seats!!! (and mounts, and shipping)

You know those cheap surplus ones from jeepswag.com

anyways, I can live with standard belts for a while, but a big reason I got the seats was to be able to use 5 point harnesses.

The mastercraft ones are like $110, anyone know anything cheaper??

Thanks

(Oh and if your looking to get rid of some used ones, let me know!)

Do you just want 5-point belts, or are you getting ready for competition?

If you wanna race, the belts have to be under 2 years old, so buy new and don't purchase until about 2 weeks before the first use(race) This way, you get the maximum life out of the belt.

If you want them for your DD/weekend wheeler, try contacting some of the racers and see if you can buy their out-of-date belts. They're still good as long as they're not sun-faded/frayed/damaged stitching, but worthless to a racer. Try posting in the jeepspeed/prerunner forum.

You should be able to get them cheaper than $110, but not by much. Check all of the places that sell race safety gear, a Google search should come up with a nearly endless list.

Thats a really good Tip buying from old jeepspeed racers. Didnt know that you couldnt use belts more then 2 years old!

No, these are just for general safety and just looking BADASS! haha

actual, thinking about it, do you think 5 points would be UNSAFE on road, is it recommended that you use OEM seatbelts?

Is it even legal to use 5 points onroad?

Im sure a couple minutes of powerwashing with strong soap will make old belts look pretty good!

Why would a much better belt system be illegal or unsafe?

If they are safe in a race car how would they be unsafe in a street vehicle?

5 point is not legal for street use where I am

In Indiana, the belt must meet Federal Motor Vehicle standards, and be OE. It's the goverment- what's legal has nothing to do with what works better, or is safer.

Not street legal for where we are either Richard... CA. is the worst! But I've heard you can go to your local CHP office and get them tagged off as being certified in case you ever get pulled over. But quite a few people I know have been ticketed for wearing 5 points.

I say eff 'em. When I have my cage/5 points, they'll always be on, ticket or no ticket I don't need to bump my noggin and kill myself because the DOT says it's not legal.

hey thats why I asked! I figure I will just keep my OE belt on my Cherokee, dont think it will be in the way. I figure the OE belt is ment to work with the airbags, but then again its designed to freeze up on sudden impact, and the 5 point is always "frozen".

The inertia reels in a modern seat belt system are made for comfort and ease of use. 'Has nothing to do with safety or airbag deployment. The properly mounted/used 5-point is safer. Off the top of my head:

-can't slide over the shoulder belt to the inside/center in a side impact
-can't "submarine" past the crotch strap(5th point :D)
-latch can be easily reached using either hand or for outside the vehicle.

Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt to use every day. Strap yourself in tight, and you can't reach the radio. But MAN you appreciate it when you go over!

Unfortunately, it's a pain in the butt to use every day. Strap yourself in tight, and you can't reach the radio. But MAN you appreciate it when you go over!

I DD with my 4 pt Crow harnesses, I don't mind the extra second it takes me to get buckled. Some of my friends like them, some think their a PITA, usually they can't reach the radio or anything but I still can.

-Alex

Not street legal for where we are either Richard... CA. is the worst! But I've heard you can go to your local CHP office and get them tagged off as being certified in case you ever get pulled over. But quite a few people I know have been ticketed for wearing 5 points.

I say eff 'em. When I have my cage/5 points, they'll always be on, ticket or no ticket I don't need to bump my noggin and kill myself because the DOT says it's not legal.

A number of years ago I had a conversation with my insurance man over 4 and 5 pt harnesses. (Michigan Law)

Just having them in a street driven Jeep meant that it had been modified for racing that meant I had the privileged to pay extra for having them....

I know that it was odd for a better belt but they could not certify the installation of the belt, Its condition... etc...but factory belts are certified to government specs Not every installer installs them correctly and therefore it is a liability that the insurance company did not wanted.

Not street legal for where we are either Richard... CA. is the worst! But I've heard you can go to your local CHP office and get them tagged off as being certified in case you ever get pulled over. But quite a few people I know have been ticketed for wearing 5 points

ive been pulled over a few times and driven through a few sobriety checkpoints and the pd has never mentioned anything about my 5 points. one even complimented my xj! i personally wouldnt run race seats and harnesses without a cage. stock seats are meant to give in the event of an accident, race seats wont.

I just ordered Up a ROCK HARD cage :D

Ok, before anyone says anything about weld in cages and that this cage is a waste of money, I just want to say that i do not weld, and wanted to do it myself. Its primarily to mount 5 point harnesses, and to reenforce the windshield. It scares the shit out of me when I see a rolled xj with the windshield frame inverted onto the seat. (plus it was $900 shipped from 4wd.com)

and im in the process of talking to a guy on ebay who is selling some year and a half old Simpson platinum belts from his race car or something. look sick, and only like $60 with shipping!

That Ranger prerunner site also has a great classifieds.

Thanks guys for your legal insight, I have kinda concluded that i will run them full time. I live in a very "democratic" area. as in not to many drag strip types around if you know what i mean. So Ill figure the cops will be clueless, and probably just give me a warning.

i have a set of the cheapo ebay ones from a tuner site - i added should pads and they are not half bad... decent adjustment and comes with hardware - about 50 a pair...

yeah...Found a bunch of those (random letter and letter racing). I figure I would rather pay around $40 for a used top of the line belt. I know that in reality there just nylon straps, but im kinda partial to the Simpson brand.

yeah...Found a bunch of those (random letter and letter racing). I figure I would rather pay around $40 for a used top of the line belt. I know that in reality there just nylon straps, but im kinda partial to the Simpson brand.

true

the webbing on the el cheapo's is decent and i have rolled once and flopped a couple of times and they have showed no signs of wear or rips - mine are technically 4 points if that makes a difference - no crotch belt

also the belts see water and sun a lot too (no doors) and seem to be in ok shape after 2 years

all in all they have worked great

Back