• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

joined the stripped club

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
The 8mm bolt that holds the brake caliper to the knuckle won't tighten because the threads on the knuckle portion of the assembly stripped out.

I'm wondering if I can fix it by putting a little jb weld in there, thread the bolt through while the jb is still wet, take the bolt out and let the jb cure for 24 hours. Would it work???

I don't have a tap and die set, what other options can you guys think of?

thnx for any ideas,

Dave

ps - this isn't a daily driver, 90% trail use, 10% getting to local trails

Do NOT JB-Weld or epoxy. This is too critical of an application.

Personally, I would tap it. You should be able to get a tap and holder for under $20 (not a whole kit, just the single tap of the right size.

Otherwise, use a Heli-coil. Go to NAPA and check them out.

-Rick

I agree -

Drill and tap to the next larger size - 9MM should be an easy thing to do. Just use lots of cutting oil when you tap and take your time. You don't want to break a tap.

Drilling and tapping with an insert so that you have the same size bolt would be the best bet, IMHO.

Drilling and tapping up to the next size would be problematic, the bolt has to fit inside the caliper sleeve.

ok, maybe the jb weld was a bonehead idea, anyway,

as for the insert, is that the heli-coil that rixXJphx is referring to? Could I tap the knuckle to 9mm and use the insert so that I keep the same bolt (chixjjeff is right in stating that the bolt has to fit the sleeve in the caliper) or do I have to tap to maybe 10mm for the insert to have room? I'm heading to Napa in a little while to see what they have

Inserts, whether they're the coil style or solid style, use their own tap. I suspect that the thread profile does not match a bolt's threads.

I picked up a kit for 7/16" coils that came with a half-dozen coils, a tap, and an insert tool. The drill was a standard size.

For future reference,
I went to Napa and purchased a kit for @ $25. It comes with the coil inserts, a tap, a tool to insert the coil and thread it as it goes in.

Requires a 21/64 drill bit, drill out the existing threads, retap, insert, and your good to go.

Back