• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle problems

Rob277

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I've got a '90 XJ Laredo. Been trying to get a good diagnostic tech at work to figure it out but we've been too swamped to get it in the shop. I'll see if you guys have any advice.

You can hear a clicking noise that seems to be coming from the front. Also I'm getting some shake in the front end at higher speeds accompanied by a clicking, doesn't seem like a full blown popping like a ball joint. It's doing it in the 45-60mph range that i can tell. It does go away when the wheel is turned and comes back on center. I've run through all thoughts from u-joints, ball joints, and wheel bearings. If I had the money and the time I would just replace everything, but that's not an option. I have replaced the left outer tie rod end as there was more than an inch of play.

If it is a wheel bearing how hard are they to press out/in. And any links would be appreciated. I really don't want to budget for all new hubs.

Thanks in advance for any help.

unit bearings run around $100/each i believe.

if your axle shaft u-joints are original and worn out replace those first.
you can check your bearings by jacking the axle up and moving the tire vertically : in/out.
if there's substantial play then you're bearings are shot.
check your brakes, make sure your rotors are not warping.
check your steering linkage for worn parts, and most importantly do a basic alignment on it.
do or have your toe in reset.

this is not a comprehensive list nor is it necessarily the right way to go about it. i'm just offering my personal opinion, since no one else has answered your questions.

Back