• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Pulley Removal

Aztazmam

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone aware of how to remove the fan pulley? I talked to the dealer, but they said this isn't a servicable item. The pressed in bearings in the AC bracket can't be replaced. Has anyone done this before? Do you have pn's for the replacement bearings? I have pics but I'm unable to post them.

you should beable to get the # off the bearing and go to any parts house and get one.Then have someone oress them apart and replace the bearing.Have done this with idler pulles before.

you should beable to get the # off the bearing and go to any parts house and get one.Then have someone oress them apart and replace the bearing.Have done this with idler pulles before.

We need the year model but if it is a RENIX (87-90) the bearing can be removed from the bracket but the bearing is impossible to remove from the shaft. Its also a very odd looking bearing. Here is a pic.

acbracket1lc7.jpg

acbracket2gu9.jpg

acbracket3ke9.jpg

You can either upgrade to a later model bracket/AC compressor and possibly alternator or delete the mechanical fan with a electric fan and use a shorter belt to bypass the fan pulley altogether. Its a pain either way you go.

The bracket is from a 96, it looks a bit different than your picture. I dont neet to remove from the shaft, just the bracket so I can have it powder coated.

The bracket is from a 96, it looks a bit different than your picture. I dont neet to remove from the shaft, just the bracket so I can have it powder coated.

Ive not yet dissected the 96 bracket even though I have 2 96 XJ's in the driveway. I would imagine that it would be similar in construction. The shaft/bearing can be pressed out from the backside of the bracket.

If you have a bates bearing near you they can get them.May do a search and see if one is close . Just about any bearing ever made can be got from them.

Back