• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAL projectors, not ebay junk

kurazy kracka

NAXJA Forum User
I've just been lurking on here recently. picked up a xj a few weeks ago to replace my totaled zj that got hit.
anyway first thing i noticed is the lighting on these SUCKS. wanted to go projectors and hids. didn't want to just use regular h4 housings n a kit since i don't want to blind people and want clean cutoff line. obviously those ones on ebay are fake junk.

anyway i started thinking, my mr2 (weekend/500hp racecar) has sealed beams too. theres a company who makes REAL projectors for it. so i looked around n found they use the same shitty sealed beams.

so these real projectors SHOULD drop straight in without a single issue. worse for worse i'll throw em in the racecar. they are a lil pricy but I'm scooping some up locally second-hand for a good price today and will try to install them tomorrow.
http://norcalmr2.com/holiday/
there is a link to the parts and where you can order.

I'll update this once i install them into the xj and let ya'll know how it works.
7.jpg

41.jpg

97.jpg

whatcha think?

Last edited:
autopal H4 housings do not blind people when aimed properly and have a nice cutoff too. I ran them on my last XJ and I think one is smashed from that Mercedes I hit. I'll be ordering 2 pair of them again soon for my beater and DD.

Yes they'll work.

E-Code Hellas, like from www.rallylights.com are not cheap junk. The autopals are cheap but work for some, but the glass is too thin for my liking.

You will likely be disappointed by the light output of any headlights until you upgrade the wiring. You can build your own harness or buy one easily enough. Do a search and you will see many threads about upgrading the lights.

The Autopals cracked on me in the first month I had em due to the cold we get up here. Looking for something a bit more robust... these projectors might be the solution

Pegasus™ H7 Projector Angel Eye Conversion w/ H7 halogen bulbs

?

edit- looks like either a halogen conversion or HID setup? ie, not just empty housings. Fine print's kind of hard to read though.

Last edited:
well guys got bad news.
the new housings/projectors go too deep back into the headlight housing area and hit the sheetmetal. they are about a quarter inch too deep. Figured ok not a big deal i'll sawzall that lil bit of metal n they'll drop right in.....nope. The hood latch bolts to the sheetmetal on both sides where i'd need to cut. Only options are to modify the hoodlatch brackets or weld them in place and cut the lower part of the bracket off that interferes.

either of those options are more work than I'm trying to do.
projector.jpg

wellll i have good new and i have bad news.

after pulling the bulbs and boot and everything off the housings still hit the sheet metal and didn't allow chrome trim ring to sit flush with the holes like stock.

now the good news.......

all it took was longer screws!!!! the housings sit total about a half inch further out than stock but it fits fine and isn't noticeable. these pics are just the 1 installed, got too cold and windy to do other side. it was just about as easy as replacing with stock sealed beams, jsut had to find 4 screws.
because they sit about a half inch out adjusting them will be a bit tricky. instead of using the adjustment screw, just going to have to adjust the 4 screws that hold it in place since the trim ring isn't completely flush...... could throw washers in there if you wanted though to space it out and have then in there tight n snug and adjust via adjustment screw.

Once it gets around dusk I'll take some pics with the 1 stock sealed beam and the one hid projector in to compare.

here's pics for now.
1001.jpg

1002.jpg

only down side i have seen thus far is that since they sit about a half inch out there's a small gap all around the light, although i think once both of them are installed it will be alot less noticeable.

the housing is real snug, just went out and adjusted them. they are in there about as tight as oem. hittin bumps and all you can't tell that they move around. i will check the screws for the next few days though to make sure they don't back out.
here they are adjusted.
1006.jpg

1004.jpg

1007.jpg

V with fogs on V
1008.jpg

V fogs off V
1009.jpg

I'm about 5-6 feet from the wall there.

Looks great, I wonder if there was enough of a demand for them companies would make a projector housing thats not so deep? Is that even possible with hid bulbs? Are these just low beam hids or are they a hi/lo bixenon type of setup?

these are low beam only. I was lookin around at other oem projectors and their sizrs and these are about 5.5" long and the shortest i saw. I forwarded this to the maker/vendor of these for the mr2.

I doubt there would be enough of a demand. if anything the easiest thing for the vendow would to be to make a ring/spacer about a half inch thick and include some new screws.

I'm sending the manufacturer/vendor of these a sample of the screw i used so he can stock up on them. If you are ordering them for your jeep include that in the note and he will throw in 8 screws that you need to make these work perfect.

I spoke to the vendor/manufacturer and he said he'll do the headlight housings for $175 and then a full HID kit for them for just $99 more!

Yikes. For that kind of money I'll stick with my E-Code Hella's, H4 blubs and wiring harness. Gives me a better light pattern, high and low beams and leaves me $150 to spend on something else.

here's the group buy i got put together for you guys. $280 with free shipping inside the USA! most of you will want peg-hid which is everything you need to convert to HIDS and install the projectors.

http://norcalmr2.com/groupbuy/

Also when you order be sure to include that it's for a jeep so that he can include the 8 needed screws for the headlights.

***FYI, headlight orders have been placed overseas and should arrive into the USA in mid-January 2010 due to Xmas & New Year's holidays.*** - from the vendor.

Last edited:
Back