• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEATH WOBBLE

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I replaced the front shocks with new ones, and both front brake rotors and brkes. The ball joints are all still very good( no free movment) all the bushings are new and uniformly intact, brand new track bar and steering stabalizer. new draglink and tie-rod and ends. But the damb thing still has the DEATH WOBBLES at about 45ish even on flat road surfaces.
Is there something else i'm missing......... Could the axle bend without braking and be causing it?:huh:
I sware if I replace very much more I will have a brand new ebtire front end.

My '98 did this. All the bushings, brackets, & bolts were good. Then, we cranked the wheel back and forth and watched for what moved. Right at the steering box the frame was racking back & forth. The frame had a crack behind the steering box and under the motor mount. Not a hard fix, but it was hard to find. Maybe yours won't be so much trouble.
hth, dn

A little more info about your set-up would help. How high are you lifted? Any other mods like dropped pitman arm? What about wheel alignment?

Get underneath while someone turns the steering wheel back and forth, like jdougn said, and look from tie-rod ends to steering box and track bar for play.

Ok I did have an alignment done, got newer wheels, tires balanced. Had my buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth and I didn't see any unnormal movement. Track bar is brand freakin new.
I'm lifted 3.5in. no other mods.

How did you check the ball joints?You say the bushings are new,what type are they?What type of trackbar do you have?What brand lift is it?What are your alignment specs?Are you running stock control arms?

Do the ball joints have up and down movement? That's how you check them.

Keep checking, you're missing something. Tires out of round?

What tires are you running?

I chased a DW problem for 6 months on my 2000 XJ. I found and fixed an undersized bolt the tha PO had installed at the lower end of the track bar. I thought I had it. The problem was better, but not gone. I had the alignment done and tires balanced several times. I was running a set of cheap street tires that were installed, just before it was posted on ebay. I wanted BFG ATs and I had now come to that point in the diagnostic process. I put on the BFGs and the DW is completly gone.

Do you have a friend with an XJ that you can trade tires & wheels with for a day?

Back