• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frantic ABS System..

Speed_racer

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes the light saying the ABS working is on.. sometimes its not..

When its on.. everythings fine.. lots of brake pressure.. perfect...

When its off, and the roads are wet.. the brakes make the kinda clunk sound (sound of abs trying not to lock up) and the brake petal jolts up and down when depressed..

Had a problem like this with my ZJ before i sold it..... but ignored it.. but this ones bad.....

That Bendix-10 system should be far more reliable that its predecessor (the infamous 9) - AFIK (IIRC) the 10 can be shut down by pulling its fuse...

I agree, you don't hear about too many "problems" with they newer system. I would not see why you could not swap to a non abs setup, but it sounds like there is something wrong and I would try to figure out what the problem is first. I also believe that you can pull the fuse, but it could be something else causing the problem. It is worth a shot though.
Dustin

Easy Now

First we need you to do the obvious things. Check your fluid levels, bleed the system, look for vacuum leaks and loose connectors. There are electrical connectors at the controller (under the rear seat), at the booster pump motor, accumulator pressure switch, pressure modulator (all under the hood), and at each wheel speed sensor. A can of electronics type cleaner is handy here. The system codes are stored in the ECU so go to AutoZone or somewhere like that that will read your codes for free and see what is going on. It will probably be alot cheaper to fix your ABS than to remove and replace it with a non ABS system.

Back