• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant leak

gleason

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 jeep cherokee with the 4.0. I noticed a coolant leak near the front right corner of the engine right where the headgasket is. I changed the head gasket but did not check the surface of the head for flatness. I am going to pull the head again and get it checked and machined liked I should have done. The only thing that concerns me is maybe there is a problem with the block. Is there a way to check the block for warps or does this rarely happen? The jeep runs like a champ with no other leaks or water in the oil. The coolant just runs down the side of the block.

Find a straight edge and check it. That would be the most economical way I would imagine. The block is such a large chunk of metal that I would find it hard to imagine the block itself would be warped. Depending on what you use to clean the mating surfaces of the block/head it could be something as simple as a small scratch causing the leak, but could also be from a slightly damaged gasket. Did you check the torque on the head bolts to make sure they are the same across the entire block?

I cleaned the block and checked for scratches on the mating surfaces. I also checked the headgasket for any damages but found none. I torqued the bolts down in the sequence and recomended torque specs that the haynes manual listed. I even made sure that the #11 bolt was torqued down different from the rest. The reason I changed the gasket was from the leak. I checked for cracks on the head as well. I really just want to sell the jeep now and not put any more money into it than possible.

Do some searching ...seems like there was one of the head bolts that needed to have sealant applied to seal up coolant. (not sure which years)

Good Luck,
Orange

same bolt that requires different torque requires thread sealant as it enters a coolant jacket. It's located on the front left of the engine (if viewed from the drivers seat) and will/can leak if not sealed.

Back