• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me, PLEASE...

misterjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Is it ok to remove the shroud to my engine fan? I WON'T be stickin' my fingers in a moving fan. My thoughts are the following...Easier access to everything on-n-off trail.

Oh yeah...'92 4.0

I have the shroud off both my 88 and 96. Which probably affects the efficiency some. Temperature here rarley gets above 85 degrees.
One thing I noticed, without the shroud and the aux fan running, at idle parked. The aux fan actually pushes some air past the mechanical fan and backwords through the radiator. Which probably further degrades the mechanical fans efficiency, at least at idle and low RPM's.
Plus side, pulling the radiator is a snap, as is removing the fan, replacing the fan clutch and the water pump. Getting the shroud off is one major pain, one of the harder parts of any front of the motor work. A real knuckle buster.
I've been thinking of moding a shroud to a two piece.

I would not remove the shroud, especially from a trail rig, because it really does affect the efficiency of the fan at the very time you need it most. Rather than that, if you wish to improve access, consider modifying the shroud. This is just off the top of my head, but I imagine it wouldn't be hard, for example, to saw the shroud in half, top to bottom, make some kind of tab at the bottom to hold the two pieces together, and perhaps a little tab with a wingnut on the top. The bottom tab might not even be necessary, since the shroud has a seating tab on each side that slips in. Then you just decouple the top, and pull each half up separately. Don't take this as an accomplished design. I just thought of it about as long ago as it takes to type this.

Does it have the Elec. fan also?

I broke the bottom off my fan shroud last year, the unbroken top still had both the bottom tabs so only that solid portion on the bottom broke off. It still works BUT my temps did climb about 5 deg in traffic. Now I broke it while I was replacing a water pump, hoses, tstat and fanbelt so whether the broken off bottom of the shroud caused it is unknown.

Speed_racer said:
Do not.

you will regret it.

The shroud is there to keep the air travelling in the correct direction.

Xj's have hot running problems as it is.

I did the same, in about 4-6 months when it starts to warm up again, you will be hitting the yards to get a replacement. just tell 'em Speed sent ya! haha

I totally agree..

Elias

Almost every body here that did the swap admitted swapping back in less than a year, those that won't admit it ought to be ashamed :D :D :D

FanShroud1.jpg
You can just trim the bottom of the fan shroud so it slides around the mechanical fan clutch easier......here's a pic of mine.

I trimmed the fan shroud bottom on my 89 several years ago, as Blain did. There was no difference in cooling ability that I noticed. It made removal and replacement a snap.

Right, my method of trimming shouldn't change airflow since the backpiece is still there.....and this is like only 6.5 inches, thats a little wider than the fan clutch.

Back