• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad front axle shaft...is it drivable?

groovyjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so I learned today that my clunking sound i've been hearing is a bad front passenger side axle shaft. So I don't have anyway to fix this problem till at earliest saturday. So my question is it save to drive till then? This is my only vehicle at the moment and I need to go to work and such, is it fine driving at 50mph. Whats the worst thing that can happen? Any info or opinions is much appreciated. thanks

-90 cherokee 4.0, automantic, np231

what part do you mean about the axle shaft? u-joints?

Alright so I learned today that my clunking sound i've been hearing is a bad front passenger side axle shaft. ... -90 cherokee 4.0, automantic, np231

This statement needs a lot of explanation. What makes you think it's a bad axle shaft? What is your history with the jeep and how could/did the axle shaft get damaged? Or is it actually something else like u-joints? To many variables to even guess if it's driveable. If it's just a slightly worn u-joint making a little noise then probably not much of a problem. If it is broken axle shaft then that's a big problem.
Just my .o2, DougN

Yeah the diagnosis is incomplete. Shafts are solid steel and don't make noise unless they snap somewhere. The u-joint that connects the inner and outer halves together can make a lot of noise, and so can the hub bearing that holds the wheel to the shaft. You'll need to isolate the damage before we can answer your questions.

Since it's a 90, it could also be the vac disconnect / related stuff maybe?

Back