• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very low oil pressure

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting very low oil pressure. On the freeway it's at maybe 25-30, and sitting still is dam near 0. Now this can't be good at all. Got a trail trip coming this sat and need to get this fixed. So would this be for sure the oil pump or could something different cause this? Got told to put thinker oil in it but I'm really not looking for a bandaid but don't want to put out the money and the work to put a oil pump in if thats not what it is, so what other things can cause this? Yes it has oil in it no it's not low
89 xj 4.0

First off, if you have a Fram filter, replace it. I would change the filter any way.

First off, if you have a Fram filter, replace it. I would change the filter any way.
No don't have a Fram but in tend to change filter and do oil change as well but don't want to do tha before I find out what is wrong. Be a waist of oil. I just don't see a oil filter of any kind causing that low of oil pressure though.

Rent or buy an oil pressure tester and verify that you actually have low oil pressure before you condem the pump.

Before spending a ton of $$$ I would hook up a manual pressure gauge and verify there is really a low pressure problem.

Thats a good idea for sure any idea how much one cost? Figure that wouldn't be a bad thing to have in the garage anyways.

I have seen some guys buy one that is supposed to be installed on the cab permanantly and use it as a temporary tool, they can be had for cheap. I suggest renting or buying a good one. You are probably looking at a purchase price of $30+. If you buy one from a tool truck (snap-on, Mac, etc) then expect to break out the hundreds.

I have seen some guys buy one that is supposed to be installed on the cab permanantly and use it as a temporary tool, they can be had for cheap. I suggest renting or buying a good one. You are probably looking at a purchase price of $30+. If you buy one from a tool truck (snap-on, Mac, etc) then expect to break out the hundreds.
Oh I know I see the tool trucks coming I run the other way.

The sending unit itself is the cause of the vast majority of erratic/unusual oil pressure readings.

If your oil pressure is truly low, you're likely to hear it in the engine.

As mentioned, verify with a mechanical gauge if you are concerned. Mech. gauges can be rented from many parts stores. By installing a mechanical gauge temporarily, you'll know for SURE what oil pressure you have.

If pressure is within spec (13 psi or greater at hot idle, 37-75 psi over 1600 rpm) with the mech gauge, then replace the sending unit.

I have had best luck with ones purchased directly from Jeep.

Back