• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Panel Clips

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
Well I've gotten taking off and putting the door panels of the heep down to a science. However, when I first did it 2 or 3 years back, I managed to bust like half of the little plastic panel clips. I went to murray's/autozone/advance auto and tried to find matches. none were a perfect match and none worked perfectly as to be expected. I bought some at the dealership and they worked perfectly. However, I could only afford 5 because they were like $4.00 a piece or something insane like that. Is there anywhere I can buy those exact ones for cheaper??

what year, and do you need the white clips or the black clips? I'm assuming 97+ because usually the paperboard backing on the pre-97 door panels breaks before the clips do (ask me how I know!)

Last thread I remember that's relevant: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1017742

I'd hit the junkyard or Ace personally, even mopardiscountparts.com wants $2.58 each for the OEM ones (white.)

TeamCherokee has them for 84-96 (appear to be white) but you have to buy a set -- 12 for around $26 if I remember correctly.

while we're at it, how can I remove door panel off my 95' XJ? I need to remove it so i can replace mirrors

The local NAPA has all kinds of panel and trim clips. Also, try a bodyshop supply store.

while we're at it, how can I remove door panel off my 95' XJ? I need to remove it so i can replace mirrors
Remove the two #3 phillips screws under the armrest. Swing it up clockwise (driver side) or counterclockwise (passenger side) till you can disengage the flatted screw on the front end by pulling it straight out from the door. Unscrew the machine screw from behind the door handle and the two self tapping screws from the front of the same bezel, remove the bezel by pulling it outward slightly, then carefully unclipping the door handle section by pushing it outward from the bezel. Turn the bezel so that the door handle section will pass through it. Now use a putty knife or "panel/trim removal tool" to carefully pull the panel off the door shell, starting at the bottom back corner of the door. There will be small white plastic pushpins holding it in every few inches up to the top edge. Once they are all out, you can pull the panel away from the door at the bottom and sorta see-saw it back and forth until the top edge pops out of the window trim strip.

Be really careful messing around with the door lock+window switch bezel and the door handle, that plastic gets pretty brittle so if you muscle it too much you can break it easily.

EDIT:
Wow, $6 for 50. Jeff wins hands down. :worship:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I guess thats what happens when people actually search.

Did those clips end up being the right ones? Im in the middle of working on my stereo and broke a lot of clips. Mine are black but look exactly the same as what's pictured in the link. It doesnt make a difference right?

I assume I have to pop the door panel off to replace the speakers?

Also are these the same clips that hold the hatch panel.in place? Half of mine are broken with duct tape holding it from flopping.

When I go to a junk yard I always get all the clips I can because I know ill need them eventually. I don't think I've even been charged for them when I have bought something else.

Back