• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 shifter breakage

DoctorPhate

NAXJA Forum User
I seemed to have broken this little plastic retainer on the 4x4 shifter linkage on my 231 t-case. It ends up popping out of its little hole and then and I can't shift my t-case. The only way to get it back into a gear is to have someone play with the shifter while I try and work the peg back into the hole.

I tried using a hose clamp but it still came out, less often but it still did come out and when it did it made it even more difficult to get it back into place so I just removed the clamp and every time I need to switch between 4x4 and 2wd I just climb under and hold the peg from moving while someone switches the gear.

Any fixes for this? My idea so far is to take a washer and just weld it to the end of the peg so it can't pop out of the hole.

The only problem with my amazing plan is the only welder I have is 520volts and it basically melts right through anything on my XJ. Its used for welding 1/2 inch steel plates and other ridiculously thick chunks of metal on fork lifts. So although I have a welder, I would require borrowing a lower model one lol.

Any Ideas? I have searched btw.

Drill and a little cotter pin? I replaced my crap linkage with allthread and 3 little heim joints. It is now very adjustable and beefy, no crap play

...little plastic retainer on the 4x4 shifter linkage on my 231 t-case. It ends up popping out of its little hole and then and I can't shift my t-case...

Are you describing a bushing, maybe green in color ? Stop by the dealership and pick up some new ones or order this reapir kit - http://www.4x4xplor.com/T-CaseTSB.html -.

yeah its that little bushing but i dont understand how I could even change it. It doesnt look like it comes apart lol.

Its the opposite side of this http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/tcase-TSB/728014_52_full.jpg

it pops through that little tab that for some reason is in no pictures I've ever seen lol.

I might stop by the dealer and see what I can get there. Ordering from the US usually isn't an option for me since UPS is kind enough to triple the price of the goods and call it a duty as it comes over the border... bastards... lol

Those plastic bushings are pressed in, and a pain in the butt. I would go with the suggestion to drill and pin if you can. I did it on one of my old Jeeps. Use a washer between the cotter pin and the bushing, and it should work fine.

Another possibility might be to use a c-clip. The pin that goes through the bushing is necked down. If you can find the right size clip you might be able just to clip it on to the end.

Just to be clear what kind of c-clips I mean:
c-clip-2-5.jpg

It might be moving side to side but it takes all my strength to push that tab over for the peg to get back in, usually what I do is have someone move the shifter back and forth to sort of force the peg back onto the tab and once its on there i just move it around all be it with a lot of force.

so if it is the tab moving side to side, it still requires considerable force for it to move since I can't bend it without using full strength to do it. I'm by no means a small guy either lol, 6'2 and 195lbs

Back