• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Package

Pewterbird

NAXJA Forum User
I'm shopping for an Xj. I read they can tow either 2000lb or 5000lb. 5000lb with the tow package. How do I know if the XJ has the tow package. Can you buy it aftermarket?

you can tow 5000lb with the proper class hitch, not that many here would recommend it because the brakes and overall handling become the weak point because of the SWB

There's more to the tow package than just the hitch receiver.

Automatic transmissions get a cooler, as well has heavier lube in the diffs.

If you've got a stick shift, you're stuck at 2,000 lbs. per D/C.

Given what you're towing, I'd suggest that you make sure the trailer has brakes. XJs are known to have weak brakes to begin with.

ChiXJeff said:
There's more to the tow package than just the hitch receiver.

Automatic transmissions get a cooler, as well has heavier lube in the diffs.

If you've got a stick shift, you're stuck at 2,000 lbs. per D/C.

Given what you're towing, I'd suggest that you make sure the trailer has brakes. XJs are known to have weak brakes to begin with.

Thanks for the info.

So far I think I can make just any automatic xj work.
I found a class III weight distribution hitch that can tow up to 5000. Even If I only use 3500
The trailer is going to have brakes. Its law in CA.
I can install and aftermarket tranny cooler. And change the Diffy fluid. Is there anything the Factory tow package offers that I can not get?

Those are the big ones I'm aware of.

If you're getting an aftermarket trans cooler, I don't think you can get one that's too big.

If you've got a TracLoc rear diff (limited slip,) don't forget to add friction modifier. Probably a good idea to go synthetic lube as well.

Rooky here.

I have looked and looked for "what is the tow package?"

As near as I can find the tow package was;
1. A hitch
2. Auto Trans w/ cooler
3. Beefed up electrics.
(If you have A/C you get this.)
4. Trailer plugin.
5. Diff oil w/ additives.

What I have not seen anybody address is the leaf springs. Are they different, better stronger,...?

I have an 87 with a D44 rear and it looked like lines going from the transmissoin to the radiator. But I think the last owner put the hitch and wiring in(its not a 2 inch hitch and the wiring is inside the jeep). Do you think I have a tow pakage

cjsxj87 said:
I have an 87 with a D44 rear and it looked like lines going from the transmissoin to the radiator. But I think the last owner put the hitch and wiring in(its not a 2 inch hitch and the wiring is inside the jeep). Do you think I have a tow pakage
All automatics have a line from the transmission to the radiator heat exchanger. The tow package would have had an external oil cooler as well, plumbed into these lines. It would have had a full size receiver hitch too. I doubt yours is a tow package model unless the previous owner modified it downward for some reason.

The previous owner said he did not touch the rear end so it came from the factory with a D44. Do you think jeep messed up then by not putting a D35 in?

jefb said:
Rooky here.

I have looked and looked for "what is the tow package?"

As near as I can find the tow package was;
1. A hitch
2. Auto Trans w/ cooler
3. Beefed up electrics.
(If you have A/C you get this.)
4. Trailer plugin.
5. Diff oil w/ additives.

What I have not seen anybody address is the leaf springs. Are they different, better stronger,...?
XJ's with the tow pkg had a different set of springs than the standard XJ. They were stronger and built for towing. They were a middle range between the standard duty and the Up Country heavy duty. 97-01. I have seen XJs with a hitch added and no improvment on the springs and as a result the rear end sags alot faster.

cjsxj87 said:
The previous owner said he did not touch the rear end so it came from the factory with a D44. Do you think jeep messed up then by not putting a D35 in?

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong about the D44, I've read that the earlier model's came stock with them when upgrading to the Tow Package (Lucksters), also I've read the reason why Stick's cannot tow more then 2K safely is the Lack of holding power with the hydraulic clutch. Just throw in a Trannycooler, Class III Hitch, wire up a harness and you'll have no problem tow in' your trailer.

Some thing to ponder . A class three hitch will handle up to 6000 lbs. they are all capeable of being a weight distrbution hitch.This will let you tow up to 10000 lbs WITH THE WEIGHT DIS HITCH SET UP! dont belive that just the hitch its self is all you need.check out curtmfg.com for info.

I tow a 19' bass boat with both of my XJ's, 3100#'s. I recommend a cooler, possibly a tranny temp guage, larger radiator and some tires that are rated for towing for the Jeep. Heavier duty rear springs to keep it under control help tremendously also. The boat trailer should have surge brakes just in case of that panic stop in the rain.
jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

=========================
Stick's cannot tow more then 2K safely is the Lack of holding power with the hydraulic clutch.
==============================

The holding power of the stock clutch on a stock engine is fine. Ok, a little stiffer spring would not hurt. The real problem is short clutch life. Do to combination of the stock 3.07 difs and the (about) 4 to 1 of the AX15 make for a poor towing. The clutch has to be slip excessively when towing heavy. Just to get the thing rolling.
Regearing will fix that weak clutch problem every time. As well as a fresh clutch after the old one has been slipped to death.
In short, clutches are sized to engine torque, gearing is set to load.

Pulled out my vehicle description sheet from my 1990 that was in the window when I bought it new.
Towing PKG B incls:Equalizing Hitch;7-wire harness; H.D. Radiator; Aux. Transmission Oil cooler - $351.00
H.D Alternator/Battery Group - $71.00

Perdido420 said:
This will let you tow up to 10000 lbs WITH THE WEIGHT DIS HITCH SET UP!
An XJ has no business pulling that amount of weight, even if the hitch can handle it.

badron said:
The real problem is short clutch life. Do to combination of the stock 3.07 difs and the (about) 4 to 1 of the AX15 make for a poor towing.
x2. My F-250 has a manual transmission and factory towing package. Part of that towing package was 3.55 diff gears instead of 3.07. If you had, say, 3.73s or 4.10s with stock-size tires, I'd bet you could tow as much as an auto XJ safely.

==========================
It maybe a LSD. HO cares you got a 44d run with it baby.

i thought the tow package chero's came with 3.73s
I got a set (3.73) out of a 4 bannger from the boneyard. But it may not have stated life that way.

===================
My F-250 has a manual transmission and factory towing package. Part of that towing package was 3.55 diff gears instead of 3.07.
===================

Also check you first gear ratio. I will bet a cup of coffee. It's deeper then 4 to 1. Half of towing well with a stick is just getting your train rolling. A deep first gear will get you rolling and the 3.55 with OD trany will still give you a chance at making some kind of MPG.

Back