• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Fuel Drip

xzalt

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 95 4.0/np231 and I've got a problem. When I open up my hood there is a pretty strong odor of fuel, stronger than normal. So I started it up and low and behold there is a drip that occurs, at a pretty quick pace probably one drop every 3 seconds. (I apologize for the poor quality pictures.) You can't see the drip in the pictures, but it's right on the end of what I assume is the fuel rail? and drips down onto the wire, or onto the engine.

In addition to losing precious fuel, this does concern me. Has anyone else had this problem? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance for all your help. The amazing minds on this board have helped many an XJ'r and I look forward to hearing your responses.

Gavin

59_1162232361.jpg

59_1162232435.jpg

Last edited:
It's a fire hazard. Your pics aren't showing up, but it sounds it's leaking around the pressure regulator. Without a little more info, or pics, kind of hard to diagnose.

Remember that a hot exhaust manifold is just down from the rail, all the way across.

last summer I watched a Cherokee burn up just down the street from my office and I knew why....leaking injectors. This motivated me to track down the gas smell in my engine bay and there they were - the injectors leak at a seam between the 2 parts of the injector.

Let the vehicle sit for a while and wipe off the injectors. Since the gas will evaporate fairly quickly they should be dry and clean in a short time. then start it up and watch for them to get wet.

hope you find the problem before your jeep burns up...

oh, yeah, one other thing - believe it or not the cheapest injectors I found were from the dealership...will miracles never cease?

Mine did the exact same thing It is more than likely your fuel pressure regulater, they use an o ring in there to seal them and they do go bad. you should be able do pick one up at any local parts store they are not very expensive. just dont drive your rig there

Back