• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford D44 Question

XNorCalX

NAXJA Forum User
After reading everyting I can find I have sourced a 72 F-150 D44. I have read Crash's write up and have one question. If I shorten this axle to XJ width what do I do about the axle shafts themselves. Get them shortened? And/Or can I buy the correct length shafts. If so what would this be?
Thanks guys

I agree with mini beast, just run it full width and throw a 9 in the rear. I love my set up and if you start going custom there goes your budget, well mine at least. But i think you can shorten it to waggy length and run waggy axles?? I'm not too sure but I think I read about it before haha.

After reading everyting I can find I have sourced a 72 F-150 D44. I have read Crash's write up and have one question. If I shorten this axle to XJ width what do I do about the axle shafts themselves. Get them shortened? And/Or can I buy the correct length shafts. If so what would this be?
Thanks guys

If you run '80-'84 Jeep Wagoneer inner shafts (which are not a custom length) you'll end up near stock width. You'll want alloy shafts with whatever you run anyway or the swap isn't worth it.

This may be a dumb question but here goes....if I run full width does this create a steering issue? Because the outers will be signifigantly further outward how do I connect the steering?

My turning radius sucks now after going full width. But hey I love the rest.
Here's how I did mine.

IMG00123.jpg

On a full width axle you need full width steering linkages. If that is beyond your abilities you should probably have someone build your axle for you.

And being in Northern California, I think you should have it narrowed to Waggy width.

atleast one of the axle shortening write ups on here has info on using a waggy axle on the short side and an early bronco axle on the long side. this alows the use of off the shelf parts and puts the axle at about the perfect width for an xj. i may be backwards on the axle placment...could be bronco/short...waggy/long?

My turning radius sucks now after going full width. But hey I love the rest.
Here's how I did mine.

IMG00123.jpg
did you replace your pitmann arm? dana 44 require a longer pitmann to get full steering range.

:confused1

dana 44 knuckles place the TRE farther out from the balljoint so it has a larger path to travel while turning the same degree as a dana 30 knuckle so you have to have a Pitmann arm that is longer to match the increased travel

dana 44 knuckles place the TRE farther out from the balljoint so it has a larger path to travel while turning the same degree as a dana 30 knuckle so you have to have a Pitmann arm that is longer to match the increased travel

Mine don't. I bought the proper length high steer arms to make everything work properly with a stock pitman arm.

Mine don't. I bought the proper length high steer arms to make everything work properly with a stock pitman arm.

I'm in the process of fine tunning, most likely going to use a waggy drop arm.

atleast one of the axle shortening write ups on here has info on using a waggy axle on the short side and an early bronco axle on the long side. this alows the use of off the shelf parts and puts the axle at about the perfect width for an xj. i may be backwards on the axle placment...could be bronco/short...waggy/long?
I used Waggy/ Waggy axles on my 44, and I think I ended up about an 3/4'' wider than stock.

How I did mine:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993467

Do you remember what length high steer arms you have? I seem to recall you have Parts Mike arms, but I know I bought PM arms and I had to use a Waggy pitman arm to get my steering right.

WOW! Alway's learning something new.... Thanks!
Which pitman arms could I use?

what year, and what drop? im still using my stock pitman arm, and im a bit short on turning radius.

probably a 4" drop 80s waggy I thing stock waggy pitmanns are flat which is why you need the drop one.

Back