• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 more shopping days!

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
Don't have time to search, apologies in advance.

The daughter would like a GPS for her car, (Mazda Protege - never see's off-road) looking to spend under $150. What is the best bang for the buck. She is techno challenged so a user friendly GPSr would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
I have a TomTom One (no pun intended) it gets me where I need to go, I think some places have them on sale for $69.00. You get updated maps for free, it's easy to use, no bells or whistles though.

Ah, stay away from the TomTom one. My parents bought my brother, sister, and me one for Christmas last year. It constantly brings us in the wrong direction, and doesn't know where the heck it is going. It apparently doesn't know where my friends house is, and got me into a little trouble trying to find it.

Ah, stay away from the TomTom one. My parents bought my brother, sister, and me one for Christmas last year. It constantly brings us in the wrong direction, and doesn't know where the heck it is going. It apparently doesn't know where my friends house is, and got me into a little trouble trying to find it.
X2 on this, I've had three... two stolen (one from my locked glove compartment, so not completely my fault) and one defective. They are VERY frustrating to use in big cities because their GPS receiver isn't selective enough to avoid getting signals reflected off buildings, so it randomly thinks you're on the next street over, etc etc and will madly flail about and recalculate directions while you're trying to read the screen until you are about ready to chuck it out the window. They also randomly decided that I was driving along in the woods several hundred feet from the road I was on, but exactly following the curves, and refused to give any further directions until I "got back on the road" when for some reason they decided I was in fact on the road again. Infuriating, but cheap. Now that I've had 3 either go bad on me or get stolen I have sworn them off forever.

But you can get Snoop Dogg's voice on a Tom Tom :dunce:

Back