• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tracbar hitting axle cover

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I have noticed that the tracbar of my XJ is sometimes hitting the front axle cover. Can this be due to a bad caster or should I consider getting a little more lift to overcome this?

Regards

When I was at 2"s I had a diff gaurd and adjustable track bar that had a drop at the frame mount. Under flex the trackbar would hit the gaurd. Now at 4.5" I dont have that problem.

OK, I now have about 3.5" of lift with 30 tires, if I get more lift, I will be looking forward to 32 or 33 tires, but then I will need new gears (3.07 sucks), and it's a neverending story. :D I have an adjustable tracbar, but no diff guards nor track bar drop. It only hits when if flexes alot, so my 3.5" springs + 1.5" spacer should do the job to avoid flexing until the tracbar hits.

I was just wondering if there's any other non-desirable reason that could cause this issue.

Regards

to dig up an old thread, i have this problem with my JKS trackbar, i'm on 3" of lift and it basically rubs ALL the damn time if the suspension is working harder than it does on the highway. any solutions? i wasn't sure if this was a common problem but i guess if you all can't help out i'm going to call JKS also..

I have a JKS bar, and RE non-adjustable lowers, and my bar was always in the cover. I always figured it was because I was at low lift with longer than stock arms. The solution I came up with was to change the cover...

diffcover.jpg

This picture is before it was totally finished - I ended up taking out the area drawn in black as well as armoring the bottom part.

Works great, no more interference, and strong enough that smashing into rocks now and then isnt a problem...

well unfortunately i don't really have the kind of skill or patience with a welder as you do haha. i guess that's food for thought though, you did make that yourself right? mind explaining what you did? i bet i could con someone into making me one if it's not that complicated.

Zebaru said:
I have a JKS bar, and RE non-adjustable lowers, and my bar was always in the cover. I always figured it was because I was at low lift with longer than stock arms. The solution I came up with was to change the cover...

This picture is before it was totally finished - I ended up taking out the area drawn in black as well as armoring the bottom part.

Works great, no more interference, and strong enough that smashing into rocks now and then isnt a problem...

Heh, go figure, arms wrong length, hack the diff cover. :) Nice job btw. I would've just put the right length arms on. :) 5.5" lift, RE drop brackets, RE trackbar, stock length RE arms, no interference problems. I think the original problem was Rusty's. :) Hear nothing but bad about their stuff.

JKS TB here with only 1.5-2" of lift. Plenty of rubbing but I always assumed it was due to the BB. Anyone run an aftermarket cover like ruffstuff and a JKS TB at 3-4" without interference?

jimcherokee said:
well unfortunately i don't really have the kind of skill or patience with a welder as you do haha. i guess that's food for thought though, you did make that yourself right? mind explaining what you did? i bet i could con someone into making me one if it's not that complicated.

Like others have said, this may not be the best option, but at 2" lift, it seemed good for me.

I just took the cover off, which was all marred from the rubbing, and cut off all those places where it rubbed. Then, I bolted it to a spare housing to keep the flange flat, and welded in new pieces as low profile as possible. I then took it off, welded up the insides, and put it back in for a test fit. When I was convinced it was good, I put it back on the spare housing, added some plate for protection, and called it good.

This photo shows the same thing on a different vehicle. different source of problems, but the same solution, and it works great...

steering.jpg

I work slow, and it took me about a half a day to do it each time...

markw said:
Heh, go figure, arms wrong length, hack the diff cover. :) Nice job btw. I would've just put the right length arms on. :) 5.5" lift, RE drop brackets, RE trackbar, stock length RE arms, no interference problems. I think the original problem was Rusty's. :) Hear nothing but bad about their stuff.
X2.Been from 3" to 6+" and never had a problem!

Back