• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear shackles

'97_Red_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have done some research and can't find anyone else with my problem. Since installing my 3.5" RE leaf springs my rear shackles have been popping, at least I'm pretty sure thats where the popping is coming from. I'm thinking the bushing at the top of the shackles is just worn out since it's the original, but are there any other possibilites before i buy new ones? Also, I have tightened the shackle bolts to the point I think the bolt will break if I keep tightening. Opinions?

Thanks,
Evan

yes you can overtorque the shackle bolt and cause the bushing to bind and pop. the bolt should not be so tight that you feel its going to break.

since its the original shackle, the bushing could be torn or the bolt is frozen in the metal sleeve of the bushing causing the popping sound.

i would loosen the shackle bolt(tires on the ground, no jacks or jack stands) and cycle the suspension up and down. then torque to spec. if it still makes the popping, i would check for bushing damage or frozen bolt in the bushing sleeve.

with a higher arched spring, the shackle is going to pivot more then with a flat stock spring.

Ok that makes sense. I am going to check torque them to spec later and see if that solves my problems. If not I will just order new shackles from quadratec they aren't too expensive.

Back