• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap & passing CA inspection

Mike1331

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm trying to get my new engine and tcase in asap for a trip next weekend. I have an 87 w/ a 242, i'm swapping in a freshened up 231w/ RE HD SYE and a tera 2 low kit installed. I'm not sure if i'll have time to change what ever i need to change to get the speedo gear reading the proper speed...(Er if i have to even change out anything?, couldn't find in a search)
Will this affect my ability to pass CA SMOG test if my gauge cluster is not reading a speed?

Can you swap it after the Smog test?

So i'm trying to get my new engine and tcase in asap for a trip next weekend. I have an 87 w/ a 242, i'm swapping in a freshened up 231w/ RE HD SYE and a tera 2 low kit installed. I'm not sure if i'll have time to change what ever i need to change to get the speedo gear reading the proper speed...(Er if i have to even change out anything?, couldn't find in a search)
Will this affect my ability to pass CA SMOG test if my gauge cluster is not reading a speed?

Dunno. I've been telling them I swapped to AWD, and they can't run those on the dyno. Problem solved.

So are you saying i can "say" I"ve swapped to all wheel drive and they'll only be able to rev it in nuetral...which i guess their forced to do unless they have two sets of rollers that adjust to vehicle length.

Yet another brilliant but simple solution, thanks john.

no it will not affect your smog. My speedo is off by 7% and has passed smog

When I lived in CA (two years ago) all they did for the smog check was put a sniffer in the tail pipe, check emission levels at idle and 3K rpm (I think it was 3K). They didn't put it on a "Dyno"...

EDIT: When did they start checking Speedo accuracy and what does that have to do with emission levels?

Last edited:
I'm talking about the inspeciton as a whole. They check more than just smog emissions in this god forsaken state. They won't pass you if your check engine light is on. They've tried to fail me cuz my 87 with no check engine light would pop one on, took me a minute to explain to the idiot how the renix system works.

Your drivetrain won't/shouldn't affect your smog or any other inspection. Not like you have a modded rice burner.

I'm pretty sure California is on the easy side of things as far as inspections go. They don't check for bumper or lift height, mirrors, rust, anything. Just don't put out excessive smog.

I can't wait to see the look on the smog tech's face when I drive my pile up to the shop. :D

I'm pretty sure California is on the easy side of things as far as inspections go. They don't check for bumper or lift height, mirrors, rust, anything. Just don't put out excessive smog.

I can't wait to see the look on the smog tech's face when I drive my pile up to the shop. :D

Yep, just emmisions. You know what a pile I have, it passed easily even with the 4.7.

"So are you saying i can "say" I"ve swapped to all wheel drive and they'll only be able to rev it in nuetral...which i guess their forced to do unless they have two sets of rollers that adjust to vehicle length. "

Full-time 4wd and AWD vehicles get the 'static' smog test, not on the rollers. It's the same smog test we had before they installed the rollers. I thought the test went by RPM, not speed, so I don't think the speedometer would matter.

One thing that will get you is the fuel system pressure test.
1) Get a new gas cap.
2) One of the gas lines under the hood is pinched closed (I'm not sure if it's feed or return) and the tank is pressurized at the cap. If it leaks, you FAIL.

I've seen a couple of vehicles sitting in a pool of gas at the test station before they were sent back home.

Mine's always been put on the dyno. The CEL will fail you because it means something is wrong in your engine and it is probably running dirtier than it should. Your speed shouldn't matter. They usually aim for an rpm, if you're OBD-II

1) Get a new gas cap.
2) One of the gas lines under the hood is pinched closed (I'm not sure if it's feed or return) and the tank is pressurized at the cap. If it leaks, you FAIL.

I've seen a couple of vehicles sitting in a pool of gas at the test station before they were sent back home.
I think that is for pre-OBD-II vehicles. My XJ doesn't get the gas cap test, but my 85 Nissan did. It failed. Easy enough fix as long as the tank itself doesn't leak. We pulled the bed and replaced the vacuum lines running from the tank.

I got the pressurized test last year, passed no prob.

1) Get a new gas cap.

shit, i hope this doesn't give me any trouble as my gas lines are pretty hacked up. I went from renix to ho fuel rail and now i'm going back to a renix fuel rail. Switching to a ho top end while still being in cali was the worst mistake i ever made with my jeep.

shit, i hope this doesn't give me any trouble as my gas lines are pretty hacked up. I went from renix to ho fuel rail and now i'm going back to a renix fuel rail. Switching to a ho top end while still being in cali was the worst mistake i ever made with my jeep.
Make sure the clamps are tight on any hose to hardline junctions (they should be anyways, remember those are handling 49+psi worth of extremely flammable liquids right above your exhaust...) and I suspect you will be just fine.

Make sure the clamps are tight on any hose to hardline junctions (they should be anyways, remember those are handling 49+psi worth of extremely flammable liquids right above your exhaust...) and I suspect you will be just fine.

Yes they are quite secure, Hacking them up to switch to ho are the source of my regrets. Every other time i get in this thing to drive it i check the lines out of habit for fear of them igniting my precious into oblivion. I'm going to redo it all soon so as to eliminate that god awful feeling.

Speed is vitally important to the smog test in ca, assuming you live in an enhanced area, which means you get the asm (dyno) test. However, the dyno reads its own speed off the rollers so the jeep doesn’t need to have any idea of how fast it goes.

Edit; and everybody gets an evap test in ca.

Back