• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick,Easy,Free Nuetral Safety Switch Fix

toe_nee90

NAXJA Forum User
Many XJ's similar to my 1992 Cherokee Laredo have had problems starting due to a failing neutral safety switch (NSS). One method is to replace the switch which isn't very easy and a new switch will cost almost $200. Cleaning the switch also isn't very easy, not guaranteed to work, and will only temporarily fix it.

This fix will work, permanently, but it is merely a cheap shortcut for those who want to save money and time.

First locate the NSS on the side of the transmission on the pasenger side of the vehicle.
NSS-Rebuild-01.jpg

Follow the wire set on the top of the switch until you find the plug in the picture below.

NSS-Rebuild-02.jpg

Once unplugged, you will see a 6 pronged male plug as well as a the 6 female recepticals of the female plug.

Using a very small copper wire, create a bridge between the two female recepticals shown by the red line. Be sure the wire is small enough to alow room for the plug to be re connected until it clicks into place.

NSS-Drive.jpg

Once the plug is securely connected, go ahead and start up your XJ, should run fine and the NSS will never make your Jeep fail to start again.

WARNING: The downside to this method is that one could essentially crank the engine when the vehicle is in gear potentially being harmful to the vehicle's transmission.

But hey a XJ that starts every time is better than one that only starts sometimes (or not at all like mine).

I've had this fix on my Jeep for about a week now and everything has been starting and driving perfect, if anyone that does this encounters any problems please notify me asap.

Thank you,
Tony

I've done this before. The only problem I had was no backup lights. If you're out in the woods at night and come to a dead end on a narrow trail, you REALLY need backup lights. Trust me on this.

I've done this before. The only problem I had was no backup lights. If you're out in the woods at night and come to a dead end on a narrow trail, you REALLY need backup lights. Trust me on this.

Really? I have brighter roof mounted reverse lights controlled by a dash switch anyways and disabled the stock ones a while ago.

!!Everyone beware that this fix disables the stock reverse lights.!!

This isn't a fix, this is a ghetto hack to make it work even though it's broken...

useful to know if you get in a bind, but not something I would ever recommend for daily usage or permanent install.

This isn't a fix, this is a ghetto hack to make it work even though it's broken...useful to know if you get in a bind, but not something I would ever recommend for daily usage or permanent install.

I'm not sure that I'd go that far-- sure, it's better to have everything working correctly, but I don't think being able to start in any gear is akin to a "ghetto hack"

I'd consider it more like a "temporary check of the starting system" that will help determine if the NSS is the only fault. From this point, if everything else functions correctly and the owner has enough common sense to only turn the key when the vehicle is out of gear (just like older manual trans. vehicles) the definition of temporary may get stretched a little:wave:

I'm not sure that I'd go that far-- sure, it's better to have everything working correctly, but I don't think being able to start in any gear is akin to a "ghetto hack"

I'd consider it more like a "temporary check of the starting system" that will help determine if the NSS is the only fault. From this point, if everything else functions correctly and the owner has enough common sense to only turn the key when the vehicle is out of gear (just like older manual trans. vehicles) the definition of temporary may get stretched a little:wave:

in PA, this type of "fix" is a reason to fail the vehicles yearly safety inspection.

IMO, this is a simple, effective, "good" idea. It removes a problematic part
from the loop, and will get you moving for zero dollars.

It also paves the way for some of our resident electrical geniuses (no offense to OP) to come up with a more refined, less "ghetto hack" method of doing the same thing.

It was presented humbly and very much with a "hey, check this out", "tell me what you think about this" type of attitude.

Just my input for those that are quick to criticize.

Don't dissuade creative thinking. :)

I'm not flaming or anything, just saying I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time... anyone who has seen some of the stuff I put on my XJ knows I don't mind an occasional temp ghetto hack on it ;) He does describe it as a temp fix that'll work permanently but is really a cheap shortcut, I'm perfectly ok with that.

I may save the picture showing which pins to jumper on my phone, actually - my NSS has been flaking out a bit recently, my reverse lights rarely work, but it's always started so far. Eventually I know it's gonna bite me if I don't fix it.

I'm not flaming or anything, just saying I wouldn't run it for an extended period of time... anyone who has seen some of the stuff I put on my XJ knows I don't mind an occasional temp ghetto hack on it ;) He does describe it as a temp fix that'll work permanently but is really a cheap shortcut, I'm perfectly ok with that.

I may save the picture showing which pins to jumper on my phone, actually - my NSS has been flaking out a bit recently, my reverse lights rarely work, but it's always started so far. Eventually I know it's gonna bite me if I don't fix it.

Agreed.

Mines in the same condition as yours. If i leave my house and stop for gas, it doesn't want to fire. I have to put it in "N" for it to fire up.

...and I didn't take it as a flame at all, just gentlemanly campfire banter.

Is it Christmas yet? I can't believe I have to work this week...:D

Regards,
Brian

That's one way to fix it...

but it's so easy to take the thing apart and clean it, keeping all safety and reverse lighting functions intact, why not just fix it right?

isnt this a bypass, not a fix. sure, it fixes the no start but it bypasses the problem of the NSS not functioning proporly.

I did this on my MJ when I swapped a 4.0 in (I used an auto engine-bay harness, couldn't find a manual one in the junkyard). Jumpered the ignition wires, and spliced the reverse light wires into the AX15 harness.

Works fine.....

Jeff

IMG_2331-1.jpg

90 and earlier pull the GRND wire from the silver starter relay and jumper it to ground.

91 and later you can put in a jumper wire at the starter relay in the PDC, you just don't have to crawl underneath the XJ to do it.

Both of these are so you can get going just to get home and fix it right.

I don't recommend defeating safety features, the same as I don't recommend loaning your lifted or locked XJ to your Mom/GF/Sister/Brother or DA friend--just another way to end someone's day badly.

This isn't a fix, this is a ghetto hack to make it work even though it's broken...

useful to know if you get in a bind, but not something I would ever recommend for daily usage or permanent install.

Sorry guys, should of listed this as "NSS Hack" or "NSS Bypass" not fix.

Works for me though.

My jeep would not start at all, couldn't find anywhere else on the web how to do a bypass so took some time to share it with everyone so they don't have to figure it out themselves.

your welcome.

Sorry guys, should of listed this as "NSS Hack" or "NSS Bypass" not fix.

Works for me though.

My jeep would not start at all, couldn't find anywhere else on the web how to do a bypass so took some time to share it with everyone so they don't have to figure it out themselves.

your welcome.
Don't get discouraged by the critics. You just continue posting in the same manner and respect and your ideas will be looked at. I'm always open to any fix that will get me and my family out of Anza Berrego with a bad TPS( unplugging TCU fuse) and home safely.

Back