• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8L - How bad is it?

Jesse-James

NAXJA Forum User
I know this motor gets dogged quite a bit, but how bad is it really? Looks like the kid is picking one up which means I'll end up turning wrenches on it. Am I about to start losing my hair. Also, anyone do the 3.4L swap in one of these?

I know this motor gets dogged quite a bit, but how bad is it really? Looks like the kid is picking one up which means I'll end up turning wrenches on it. Am I about to start losing my hair. Also, anyone do the 3.4L swap in one of these?

There was a guy on here that did a really nice wrote up on the 3.4L swap. Kept the FI and all. Their are may different thoughts on the 2.8L. Some swap in a 2.5L and go with it. Others just run the 2.8L till it dies or they can find a 4.0L. If it were me I'd try to find a 4.0L and not get one of the xj's built b4 87.

There was a guy on here that did a really nice wrote up on the 3.4L swap. Kept the FI and all. Their are may different thoughts on the 2.8L. Some swap in a 2.5L and go with it. Others just run the 2.8L till it dies or they can find a 4.0L. If it were me I'd try to find a 4.0L and not get one of the xj's built b4 87.
I thought the 4.0 wouldn't fit in the 2.8 rigs due to the engine compartment being different.
I have a buddy that had an S10 Blazer with a rebuilt 2.8 that ha about 5k on it when the crankshaft broke. Yes, BROKE. The warranty specifically excluded the cranks in the 2.8 due to the high failure rates from the factory.

a friend of mine have a 2.8 v6 in his 93 sonoma, he BEAT the snot out of it, going 100+ mph, etc (5 speed) and it still runs like top, even at 200k mark right now so i dont really think they're that bad engine but it could be different in a jeep from 87' and down though

I thought the 4.0 wouldn't fit in the 2.8 rigs due to the engine compartment being different.
I have a buddy that had an S10 Blazer with a rebuilt 2.8 that ha about 5k on it when the crankshaft broke. Yes, BROKE. The warranty specifically excluded the cranks in the 2.8 due to the high failure rates from the factory.

Read much? I never said swap a 4.0L in. It can be done but you have to work some of the unibody metal. I said wait for a 4.0L meaning buy one of them instead of the 2.8L xj.

Read much? I never said swap a 4.0L in. It can be done but you have to work some of the unibody metal. I said wait for a 4.0L meaning buy one of them instead of the 2.8L xj.

Just because I read it, doesn't mean I processed it correctly. :doh:
Edit: I think what got me was you mentioning swapping in the 2.5, so I was still thinking swap when I was reading about the 4.0.

Just because I read it, doesn't mean I processed it correctly. :doh:
Edit: I think what got me was you mentioning swapping in the 2.5, so I was still thinking swap when I was reading about the 4.0.

Good Point! Just bustin yer balls and clarifing my point.

Jesse, the 2.8L isn't that bad. It's not a high milage performer like the 4.0L, and performance wise, it has just a bit more torque than the 2.5L, and the torque range is very simular.

The bad is that this is a 60degree GM V6. For every "I never had a problem" story, there is a "A buddy of mine..." story. There were some good motors, I had one and it was very dependable. Trouble points are the electronic ignition module (carry a spare), and the carb/vacuum/emission system.

There are lots of threads here on both the spoiled 4.0L owners opinion of the 2.8L ;) and the 3.4L swap (GM used to sell a crate engine for just the purpose of replacing a 2.8L for about the cost of a rebuild). Do a search, and you won't be too dissapointed.

I'm kind of in the "If it ain't broke real bad, don't replace it" camp. I spent the time to get the carb and emissions working right, and the engine ran like a top when I sold the 2nd Jeep it was in.

Ron

The 3.4L is a pretty straight forward swap, and much better than the 2.8L

I have the 2.8 in my '85 S10 Blazer. Probably the most taken care of vehicle in my fleet. It was my Dad's and he always had me changing oil every 4 months and greasing it. I have it now with 90K original miles. I use it as a back up vehicle when one of my others is laid up and as my winter car (wife uses the Jeep). It's slower than ***t and gets 14 mpg around town - but I love it. Like said, if it needed replacement, the 3.4 I think is a drop in.

A 4.0L can be installed but you have to do some sheetmetal work and swap the hood and radiator supports. I did it 10 years ago.

Back