• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubber boot between TC and Driveshaft necessary?

ubercurtisb

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to change the U-joints on my Jeep, so I'm trying to pull the driveshaft off. But it seems there is a rubber boot that stretches which is connected to the Transfer Case and driveshaft that won't let me pull it out. I understand I'll drain my TC of fluid once I pull the shaft out, but how do go about this rubber sleeve thing? Is it necessary for operation, or can I just cut it away and trash it so I can do my thing?

ya. I was beginning to wonder if this was a serious post...hahaha But hey we were all there once. To answer your question the answer is yes you need that seal there reguarless because it is a seal, otherwise you can say bye bye to all of your fluid once you start moving. And while the driveshaft is out you may as well put a new seal in it. It is called the transfer case output seal.

ya. I was beginning to wonder if this was a serious post...hahaha But hey we were all there once. To answer your question the answer is yes you need that seal there reguarless because it is a seal, otherwise you can say bye bye to all of your fluid once you start moving. And while the driveshaft is out you may as well put a new seal in it. It is called the transfer case output seal.
I think he means the boot, not seal. Just a dust boot like a shock

The later model XJ's have a rubber boot instead of the tail shaft housing and seal like the earlier ones do(the seal is in the case and the output shaft sticks out). Yes, you can remove the boot, won't hurt a thing.

It won't hurt anything until water and road salt get in there and clean out all the grease, then start rusting away the splines. Other than that, xjtrailrider is 100% correct...

Remove the boot, change your joints, put the boot back on, make sure you pack a little grease into the yoke socket first and then clamp the boot down.

Remove the boot, change your joints, put the boot back on, make sure you pack a little grease into the yoke socket first and then clamp the boot down.

I need to replace the rear driveshaft on my kid's Jeep, and plan to give him the one that came off my XJ. When I removed the driveshaft, I had to cut the metal band that clamps the boot to the TC output shaft. Does anyone recommend a specific strap, or do you think a plastic wire tie would work? I'd hate to visit the dealer for something like that.

Edit: Disregard. Search is my friend...blah blah blah. http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

Last edited:
Back