• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring harness changes?

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
1.) are the engine harnesses "plug and play" between a '91 and a '94 (assuming same engine/trans) ?

2.) where does the engine/ECU/TCU harness break out from the remainder of the dash harness (or does it?)?

3.) how many toes can I expect to lose to frostbite changing one outdoors?

1. Should be.

2. Don't know.

3. Most, if not all.

91 and 94 engine bay harnesses should be the same given both are 4.0 with same options. The dash harness is one big harness routed through the back of the dash and held in place with clips which would require removing the entire dash to swap it out. The TCU wiring breaks off behind the a/c and radio and drops down to the TCU while the other wires route over to the end for door speakers lights door switch and such. Which harness are you trying to swap out the underhood or the dash?

only potential issues I can see are due to different steering columns

computer is under the hood in 91+, it's between the airbox and fender in that specific generation

the engine bay harness connects to the dash harness with a bulkhead connector, should be on the drivers side by the column

only potential issues I can see are due to different steering columns
I haven't looked at anything closely, but I thought the column became a Chrysler unit in '91-- I'll have to look again...

computer is under the hood in 91+, it's between the airbox and fender in that specific generation
ECU location is the same-- any guesses if the plugs are interchangeable?

the engine bay harness connects to the dash harness with a bulkhead connector, should be on the drivers side by the column
so a "plug-n-play" from the firewall forward would suffice (in theory)?

Which harness are you trying to swap out the underhood or the dash?

engine harness is the beast in question. I've located one that should be a good candidate to put into the '94, but it's from a '91-- I'll have to re-inspect everything when I go look at it again.

91 was the first year for the HO so connection points and plugs should all be the same. It should be as simple as unplugging everything and then laying it in place on top of the one currently in your vehicle and swapping connectors to make sure you get everything plugged up.

that's better news that I had hoped for- I was figuring I needed to fish everything through the dash and up to the fuse box-- Here's one place I like the ChryCo design !!:clap:

Some of the connectors on the engine harness will be different, I know for a fact that the connector on the TPS changed twice (once from renix to HO and again later, around 94-96 sometime) but I am not sure about other connectors or what year the switchover was.

Some of the connectors on the engine harness will be different, I know for a fact that the connector on the TPS changed twice (once from renix to HO and again later, around 94-96 sometime) but I am not sure about other connectors or what year the switchover was.

Same as the Distributor Pick-up Coil; I know they switched mid-year for 1994 XJ's... there's sure to be more, but if there's an issue, the parts should swap over (if you have a donor vehicle.)

:)

donor vehicle will be available for a short time-- I'll have to take inventory carefully, I guess.

how about an "engine/trans/ECU/wiring harness" swap-- possibly a quick "pick-n-stick" from firewall forward????

Back