• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ exhaust system on an MJ?

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
What needs to be done to do this? I have a Long Bed MJ that needs an exhaust sytem, and I have a Parts XJ with a Gibson Cat Back system. Is there any way to make this switch? Anyone have experience doing this? Am I better off selling the Gibson and finding a different exhaust.

Could probably be done by just putting a couple of extension pieces in. Does the exhaust you have connect to the system before or after the cat? If it's after then just put a couple of extension pieces in if it's before then might have to cut between the cat and muffler to put the extensions in.

usually the MJ exhaust exits on the side behind the rear wheel, so it won't be full stock, but exhaust isn't picky... just make it not leak and not bash into stuff!

I have a long bed MJ too. I just re-did the exhaust and I routed the tail pipe out the side in front of the rear wheel. It uses a lot less pipe and now I have no annoying tail pipe in the back to drag on rocks.

Right behind the muffler there is an exhaust hanger. Right behind that hanger is where I cut the pipe off and put on a 90 degree bend piece that I got from Autozone. Its fit perfectly and the pipe exits above the leaf spring, right behind where the leaf spring attaches to the frame.

I was cheap and put a ghetto piece of flex pipe off the end of the bent piece (which I cut down so it doesn't look like the picture below), but I'd recommend buying a nice tip and spending some time to make it look nice.

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

Thanks for the tips. I ended up adding about 24" of straight pipe and it now ends under the bad right after the rear tires. If it drags I will probably put a 90 in and make it come out right behind the rear tire.

an xj tail pipe doesn't work on an MJ.

an MJ tail pipe is like $30 brand new.

and the exhaust is the same from the manifold to the back of the muffler (where the tail pipe begins), so you can bolt that in.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up adding about 24" of straight pipe and it now ends under the bad right after the rear tires. If it drags I will probably put a 90 in and make it come out right behind the rear tire.

Does the pipe go over or under the axle? How did you get past the axle without a bend?

I don't know what your state inspections are like, but mine wouldn't pass with the pipe ending anywhere under the bed .... it had to exit out the back or the side.

Back