• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I get Code 45 and loose OD Lockup

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0 AW4

CEL comes on.
Did the Key trick and got code 45 which is:
Trans temperature/ Governor pressure voltage out of range. Less than 1.55 or above 3.73volts for temperature and less than .1 or above 4.89 volts. Trans temp. to high or low. OD switch input too low for more than 5 mins.

So what do I test this Trans temperature/ Governor pressure voltage ?

This seems to make since because I loose OD Lockup only when temps are at operating range for awhile, basically after engine is at 210 or just above for awhile, when it cools down OD Lockup works fine.

First, there is substantial doubt by numerous posters that the "key" trick works for ANY OBDII. Then again, some claim it works part way through productions years 96 or 97.

Check out 5-90's OBDII codes list on his website: http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/obd2.html

If you are correct, and your OBDII is giving a "45" code, then its telling you there is a problem with an injector driver.

First, there is substantial doubt by numerous posters that the "key" trick works for ANY OBDII. Then again, some claim it works part way through productions years 96 or 97.

Check out 5-90's OBDII codes list on his website: http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/obd2.html

If you are correct, and your OBDII is giving a "45" code, then its telling you there is a problem with an injector driver.

Well that can't be as the injectors will have no effect on the OD Lockup function.
I have looked at two other code referances and both say 45 is the
Trans temp or Governer sensor, but I have no idea where the Trans Temp or Governer sensor is located.

Well that can't be as the injectors will have no effect on the OD Lockup function.
I have looked at two other code referances and both say 45 is the
Trans temp or Governer sensor, but I have no idea where the Trans Temp or Governer sensor is located.

1. No trans temp sensor in the XJ--not for the PCM, not for the TCU, it simply doesn't exist.

2. There is no governor sensor.

Where are you getting this information from?

I have had the same symptoms as the OP for about a year and I'd really like to hear if anyone has a solution. There are many threads on the same topic but few fixes reported.

I've long thought it was a trans solenoid that fails when the trans warms up. The problem and CEL goes away in subzero temps.

Does anyone know which pins at the TCU harness are for which solenoids on a 97?

There isn't on the AW4. The link he gave said for a 3-speed auto, which isn't right either. Stop by an Autozone and get the real codes pulled.

Apparently here in Comifornia the auto parts stores are not allowed to pull codes for you, I have called several and was told the same thing by all of them :mad:

Apparently here in Comifornia the auto parts stores are not allowed to pull codes for you, I have called several and was told the same thing by all of them :mad:

That's odd. Of course California is the land of fruits and nuts. :} If you don't know someone with a scanner, you could always stick a wanted-ad in Craigslist - "will buy you lunch if you stop by with a code scanner".

unless they changed the law again you can get around that by "renting" a code reader from autozone or really any auto parts store that has loaner tools. at the autozones around me you can give them either your drivers license or $60, pull your codes in the parking lot then return the reader 5 minutes later and get your license/dough back

also the key trick works on my 97 as well, and mine used to do the same thing with a CEL, code 45, although I would totally lose overdrive and the TC wouldn't lock up in 3rd. it would do it a few times a year then be back to normal after a day or two. I never could find any answers on what was causing it and it hasn't done it at all for a good 3 years or so :dunno:

unless they changed the law again you can get around that by "renting" a code reader from autozone or really any auto parts store that has loaner tools. at the autozones around me you can give them either your drivers license or $60, pull your codes in the parking lot then return the reader 5 minutes later and get your license/dough back

also the key trick works on my 97 as well, and mine used to do the same thing with a CEL, code 45, although I would totally lose overdrive and the TC wouldn't lock up in 3rd. it would do it a few times a year then be back to normal after a day or two. I never could find any answers on what was causing it and it hasn't done it at all for a good 3 years or so :dunno:

Auto Zone got irritated at me just for asking

Back