• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RTV curing time...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed a new Stant thermostat to help my running cool problem. I rtv'd the gasket on both sides, and its sitting torqued and curing...

The tube says silicone will cure in 24 hours...

Is that the first point I should put fluid in?

I usually wait overnight to fill something like a diff, with RTV. This is under pressure, though...so I'm not sure.

Love to fill it tomorrow morning. But I'll take suggestions of what you experienced...

the product is permatex RTV for high-glycol area's...92 xj 4.0l open cooling system.

Install of stat was very easy. NO problems there, btw. :thumbup:

i usually wait a 'little bit'
ive never let it sit overnight, i got no patience. but i also dont have leaks.

it also depends on what tempreture it is when you use it. the colder the longer it takes to dry (curing takes longer)

I usually wait a few hours or if i am in a hurry i fill it up and let it run without the radiator cap to keep pressure low, the engine heat will bake the RTV and cure it fast...

im glad someone posted this, everytime i get the thought of 'should i let it sit for a bit?', then do an internal 'meh' and fill.

im glad someone posted this, everytime i get the thought of 'should i let it sit for a bit?', then do an internal 'meh' and fill.

/\...this cracked me up...:wave:

I decided to watch a movie and play with my 6 month old instead of standing outside w/ mah jeep, after dinner earlier tonight...

I'll definitely just fill it in the morning, though.

I'm thinking:

fill.
let it warm up, check for leaks.
test run to starbucks! haha.

night, all. Thanks!:us:

-Brian

I've never let anything sit for the recommended 24 hours and never had a problem. I will usually let it sit at least a couple of hours though. There's always something for me to do while I'm waiting those two hours.

BTW, I'm glad the OP posted this too. It confirmed what I pretty much already knew, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I'm a freak I guess, I let my rtv cure according to the instructions. I just swapped my thermostat out recently and let it sit the full 24 hours before adding any coolant. I guess I'm usually not in that big of a hurry and would rather do everything I can to ensure I don't have to re-fix something later.

I'm a freak I guess, I let my rtv cure according to the instructions. I just swapped my thermostat out recently and let it sit the full 24 hours before adding any coolant. I guess I'm usually not in that big of a hurry and would rather do everything I can to ensure I don't have to re-fix something later.

While a lot of shops use RTV for just about everything, I never use it on t/stat housings. Permatex non-hardening, and only on the housing then a gasket.

That said, when shops use RTV how long do you think they let that stuff set-up before finishing the job and kicking it out the door? Trust me, it isn't for very long.

While a lot of shops use RTV for just about everything, I never use it on t/stat housings. Permatex non-hardening, and only on the housing then a gasket.

That said, when shops use RTV how long do you think they let that stuff set-up before finishing the job and kicking it out the door? Trust me, it isn't for very long.

I used the stuff specifically made thermostat housings, used it many times and never had a leak and it cleans off very well.

As for the shops, just another reason I don't take my vehicles to any shop ha. Shops are in a hurry and not so much concerned with doing the job right. The same reason they don't use torque wrenches on lug nuts, just get it done and out the door as fast as possible.

I just figure the people making the instructions/priduct are smarter than I am so why make up my own rules. I'm sure it's fine to do like everyone else has mentioned but again, I'm never in a hurry so a 24 cure time is fine with me.

I always use Indian Head Gasket Cement - sets pretty quickly and no leaks.

For axles, I've let it set for about an hour to two...enough time to piddle around on some other project before resuming by bolting the cover on, etc.

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

I usually let it sit for a couple hours on axles also.

For T-Stats, I use Permatex #2. I spread it on both sides of the paper gasket. It will hold the gasket in place when you assemble, and will provide an outstanding seal even if the housing is uneven.

Ron

.... you torque your wheel studs? you are a freak!
you don't? takes 30 seconds to prevent ovalled stud holes in the wheels, a wheel coming off or broken studs from overtightening.

I don't use RTV on a gasket. A gasket is designed to seal the interface. I do use RTV instead of a gasket.

Put the gasket on, tighten the housing bolts. Fill it up.

I do like that copper gasket sealant on the intake/exhaust manifold.

I don't use RTV on a gasket. A gasket is designed to seal the interface. I do use RTV instead of a gasket.

Put the gasket on, tighten the housing bolts. Fill it up.

I do like that copper gasket sealant on the intake/exhaust manifold.
That is exactly what i learned in high school auto shop, common misconception to use rtv and a gasket.

Keep the discussion up fellas.

Great to hear a lot of perspectives, from newbies, to shadetree's, to pro's.

I filled this morning, let it burp(1/8 drilled hole @ 12 o'clock)
It came up to 205 like a champ. Checked for leaks at starbucks and when i got back. Seems good to go.

:)

Back