• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starts slow!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
ive changed plugs, got a new battery with more cc-amps, checked for vacume leaks changed my fuel filter, had fuel system flushed.
why does she like to turn over a few times before starting?
ive been told to just cycle the key but that does not work either and besides thats just a band-aid!
is my starter tired? and can it be checked without removing it or replacing it?
Would this even help???

What year, motor, ect..... The check valve in the gas tank *may* be bad. If that is the case, then an inline check valve may fix your issue.

i know a guy that by-passed the pump in the tank, not sure exactly what all he did but seems to fire rite up!(lucky) the new battery barely helps on real cold days, so a fix is in the works for sure!

tj your case is prolly because when you shut it off the fuel in the line travels back towards the tank, and when you start it again it takes a few seconds to start it. my buddies MJ takes a few cycles to start too.

you could also go down and get some welding leads and big 4 guage brass clamps and make some ground and power cables. cleaning your grounds and siliconing over them(to prevent water from getting back in and rusting the area) may help too.

im pretty handy at working on things but custom work is best done for me with pics! sorry just a bit confusing without lotso detail, arghh! although i have heard of putting in a pressure ball in my fuel line to keep the fuel up like ya say!

Last edited:
1. You have a Renix. Nothing is going to fire until the ECU gets a signal from the CPS/CKP and measures that signal to indicate that 300 rpms while cranking has been met/exceeded.

2. You can upgrade the battery and battery cables--at least 4 ga., 2 ga. better--and buy a high-torque starter.

Other than good basic tune-ups on a regular basis, those are the only things that will really kick a Renix into a fast-start mode.

1. You have a Renix. Nothing is going to fire until the ECU gets a signal from the CPS/CKP and measures that signal to indicate that 300 rpms while cranking has been met/exceeded.

2. You can upgrade the battery and battery cables--at least 4 ga., 2 ga. better--and buy a high-torque starter.

Other than good basic tune-ups on a regular basis, those are the only things that will really kick a Renix into a fast-start mode.

That is it in a nutshell. :wave:

No worries Joe; just giving you the nod as a Renix owner who has been around the block a time or two with your XJ!!

Are there even Shell stations around any more? We used to have one old time Shell station in our small town in MN but that was a few decades ago.

had the same thing wrong with mine or months and months, finally wouldnt start, replaced the starting and been running great ever since!

No worries Joe; just giving you the nod as a Renix owner who has been around the block a time or two with your XJ!!

Are there even Shell stations around any more? We used to have one old time Shell station in our small town in MN but that was a few decades ago.

I suspected as much! :confused1

We have two here. My Dad was from Minneapolis, left in 1940, and his dad was a millwright for a Ceresota Flour mill somewhere around there.

plenty of shell's in socal.

a swirl pot wont help, im pretty sure its engine rpm that determains when the ecu 'starts' the ignition. it's not a fuel.
might consider upgrading the wire that goes to your starter, if its old and corroded, it wont allow full current to the starter, causing... (you guessed it) a slow start.

Like the others have said.. you won't get a Renix to fire as the first cylinder goes by except maybe on a hot restart. It's an oddity of that system that it has to see rpm for x-amount of time before it does its thing.

Here's a fun thing to do. Disconnect the vacuum line to the MAP sensor and try starting it a few times. First will be normal, itll run like crap, shut off, and the next time it'll start up instantaneously. Also my throttle response was improved. RENIX is weird.

As stated its just the nature of the beast. I did however change out my starter and went with an optima yellowtop and wow Big difference. Still cranks longer then say a newer car but cranks fast now.

Back