• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! My daily is BROKE!!

southernrebel20

NAXJA Forum User
I drove my daily, (a 99 xj, 4.0, aw4, np242, 4in lift, 31s...), last night, parked it for about 2 hours while helping my buddy out in his shop. I went to leave and the jeep immediately threw a check engine code and would not shift out of first gear, It will go into park, neutral, reverse, and then you can put it in drive, 3, or 2-1, but it will not shift out of first. Then you take off in first and when you let off the gas it stalls. What the heck is wrong with this thing?? Any insight is much appreciated.

Pull the codes for clues as to root cause. You'll need a scan tool or a code reader as the key-on, key-off procedure doesn't work on a 99; all you will get is a self test.

Could be something simple like a fuse or a TPS or could be more complex but it really helps to have the codes before digging in. The TCU used with the AW4 has a self diagnostic program that leads to the code.

Post the exact code number(s) here for comment.

Last edited:
Will do, I haven't been able to get at it with a scanner because I'm at work right now, after work I will pull the codes and post back what it tells me. Thank's for the help!

Unplug the TCU or pull its inline fuse and see if it shifts manually. It will only give you 1st in 1-2, 3rd only in 3, and 4th only in D. If it will shift manually, then the problem is electrical--fuse/TCU/solenoids/wiring.

Ok, so I got off work today and went to mess around with the jeep. My buddy thought he had a code reader but couldn't find it so I will have to pull the cel code tomorrow. But, I unplugged the TCU and the trans will shift manually BUT the motor still tries to die when the brakes are applied. I have to feather the throttle like you would to keep a carbureted motor running when it's cold. Any ideas why this would happen? Seems really odd.

I'm thinking large vacuum leak at the booster? Pinch/clamp off the hose, press on the brakes--any difference?

Back