• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front skid plates?

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Are they worth having or not? I recently aquired a 2 door that has the front skid plate and a gas tank skid plate. I am putting the gas tank one on but is the front one worth having or not?

Are they worth having or not? I recently aquired a 2 door that has the front skid plate and a gas tank skid plate. I am putting the gas tank one on but is the front one worth having or not?

Well, I recently purchased one from another member of NAXJA, haven't installed it yet, too many other Jeep-do projects ahead of it.

The factory front "skid" is more of a shield. The material isn't very thick.

Some claim that it will get you stuck in mud and snow by allowing you to plow in but not back out when it becomes a goop-scoop.

I don't know, but I am going to give mine a try, someday, maybe soon.

Never thought about the belt, but it does collect anythin your motor's douching, and at 4"+ lift, its only really protecting your steering which shouldnt be stock anyways.

Well, since we are on the OEM Forum, ie no lift, the front Skid plate is up to anything the street or trail can throw at it. It will keep sticks out of the engine compartment, and help protect your steering/Coolant lines/engine hoses from damage.

As far as being weak, it's not really, there are a couple of reinforcement bars welded to the inside that strengthen it quite a bit.

Even on a lifted vehicle, I believe they have merrit, for the same basic reasons stated above, it will keep debris out of the engine bay.

Ron

Well im at about 6.5 inches of lift on the front. I was reading somewhere that you can make a spacer for them for the lifts. Also that you can weld a bar across them to reinforce them. I think im gonna give it a try.

I'm stock height and picked up an engine skid for like 10 bucks, figuring why not. It will sure protect more than the open air I have there now. Also in the rain I figure it will help keep things dry etc. I had to sand/primer/paint it all nice and new looking again. I used a black rustoleum bed liner spray, it looks really good I think for being the first thing I've ever painted. It has that cool flat black texture look to it and hopefully holds up to chipping better than normal paint. If not no big deal though I just wanted it looking new going on...

I'm still waiting to get hardware to mount it. I know there was a thread with the diagram but haven't got around to it yet. I'm hoping to just use bolts as I don't have the felt under cover deal and shouldn't need the studs.

Well im at about 6.5 inches of lift on the front. I was reading somewhere that you can make a spacer for them for the lifts. Also that you can weld a bar across them to reinforce them. I think im gonna give it a try.

Then perhaps, your questions should have been posted in Modified Tech since you no longer have an OEM machine. I'm not splitting hairs here. The effectiveness of the front skid plate decreases as you go further away from the stock configuration. As I said, even lifted, the front skid plate will protect the engine vitals up front, but it will no longer protect your steering linkages because it will be too high for the plate to hit first.

Ron

I plan on installing a front skid on my 97. Before I do that, I'm going to fab up a sheet metal "splash shield"(stolen from something I saw on JeepForum) using the rubber one as a template.

If the skid does end up being a crap shovel, there's something to keep the stuff out of my belt.

Then perhaps, your questions should have been posted in Modified Tech since you no longer have an OEM machine. I'm not splitting hairs here. The effectiveness of the front skid plate decreases as you go further away from the stock configuration. As I said, even lifted, the front skid plate will protect the engine vitals up front, but it will no longer protect your steering linkages because it will be too high for the plate to hit first.

Ron

Could be wrong, but if the job/problem/project is OEM related, then it belongs in OEM. :wave:

I saw that, I wouldn't know where to begin making the U channel and I don't have anything to cut bolts down with either. I was hoping to just buy a hand full of proper nuts/bolts and make it go. :attom:

I bet I could get all the hardware at lowes or home depot for less than $7. The U channel is fairly common, and just get some bolts that are about an inch and a half to 2 inches long with matching nuts. All you'd need to do is to drill 3 holes in the U channel to match the holes in the skid plate.

I saw that, I wouldn't know where to begin making the U channel and I don't have anything to cut bolts down with either. I was hoping to just buy a hand full of proper nuts/bolts and make it go. :attom:

Ace Hardware sells those U channel strips.

The cut down bolts (studs) are for the big mounting holes at the back. You can probably buy M12 studs too.
With those, you just screw in the studs, then you can slip the skid in place over the studs, then screw on the nuts.
You can use regular bolts but you have to hold the skid up in place aligned with the holes, then screw them in, which is harder.

As mentioned, makes a great shield against things hitting the belt and hoses. It's also nice not having to wash the motor off every time I go through the slightest bit of mud.

However if you begin to leak coolant or power steering fluid, you probably won't notice it for a while depending on the severity of the leak. The skid plate will catch a good bit of whatever is leaking first.

The factory front "skid" is more of a shield. The material isn't very thick.

I have smacked mine on a few things and it was fine. They aren't too thin!

Back