• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vent and Covers!

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have been into this idea for a while, and finally grew the balls to make the cuts! BUT, before I get going about my design/build, i got to give mad credit to this guy, as he may be the first to do this and was my inspiration:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1014094

So, I basically did the same thing, using the same materials. What I was able to do was make magnetic covers. Weather directly to the top of the motor was a big worry, so for the rainy/snowy days, I can cover the vents. See the pics:

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Just finished this up today, have not had much chance to see if there is much result. May go for a ride on Sunday here... we'll see how they do! The covers so far have held on at 50MPH. They seem pretty strong to the hood. I highly doubt they would come off.

The covers are sheet metal (not sure on gauge size, but about 1/32"). I used strip magnets (two layers), and the body molding tape to make the magnets thicker than the edge molding. Here is another shot from under:

DSC_0042.jpg

I have SO got to do this!! That looks SICK! I thought it looked good when the other guy did it, but now you have me thinking about some different designs and such.

Some of those curiously strong magnets would probably work best.

Here is the best pic I currently have. The XJ is at the garage right now for inspection. I can get a better shot after the holiday.

Thanks for all the complements!

And just an update on the magnetic covers: They are holding up awesome! I was considering stronger magnets, but with this strip stuff, you can cut it to whatever length/shape and it helps with weather sealing. Just a thought if anyone is interested with having a good seal.

DSC_0036.jpg

Back