• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanical Fan Input .....

EndlessMtnFab

NAXJA Forum User
Just looking to get an opinion from anyone that cares to give it :jester:

I have a ZJ fan in the shop (along with 2 XJ fans). The ZJ fan is approx. 2 inches larger in diameter. That means the radius is 1 inch each way (off centerline). Would that fit in the factory XJ shroud ?

I had 2 XJ shrouds. Gave one away ... and then a week later broke the 2nd one. :doh:

Obviously, I don't have a shroud here to test on.

I can make a new shroud to utilize the ZJ fan (but with the XJ clutch). I know for a fact there isn't enough room for the ZJ clutch with a 3 core radiator. But the extra fan will pull more air, for sure.

In terms of quick/easy .... it would be great if I found a cheap fan shroud and then just re-used the factory fan for now, in the dead of winter.

Anyone with input to share ? :dunno:

you don't need a shroud, it helps when you are idling but it isn't necessary unless you have other cooling problems that are made worse by the absence of a shroud. if you really want to do it right, you'll need to go buy a shroud from the dealer or a part-out and run the XJ fan

one back-burner project would be to look for a larger shroud. go-jeep's electric fan write-up said that he had a 16" opening, while the domestic models all had a 15" opening. maybe there was a larger shroud for some export markets.

I have used a ZJ fan before, just had a vibration problem when I first tried it.... it may have been the clutch itself though (high miles and old)... I later switched to an E-fan setup.. so don't know long term?

I'm a very firm believer in using the shroud and a mechanical fan. You couldn't convince me not to run one ... but that's another argument for another thread. :)

I was just trying to determine if the OE shroud would have enough clearance for the ZJ fan. If not .... I could make a shroud from scratch.

I might contact Go-Jeep and see if he can confirm the 16 inch dimensions and perhaps a part number. That would be a lot easier than making a shroud. Might have to do with the overseas diesel engine ?

I'll keep the electric fan on the driver side .... but you won't see me running full electrics right now.

Joe

IIRC,... the XJ clutch with ZJ blades fits tight... the shroud was cut slightly and allow for the taller blades....

theres was also a huge difference in air movement...... however I would think that long term would cause the stock clutch to fail faster

theres was also a huge difference in air movement...... however I would think that long term would cause the stock clutch to fail faster

I'm not sure if that would really be an issue. For instance ... for *some* aftermarket manufacturers, the YJ and XJ share the same clutch. And the YJ fan is even bigger than the ZJ one.

Something to keep in mind, regardless.

Joe

Back