• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 4dr xj- looking to build with little or no lift

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a fine little 91 xj 4dr auto,a perfect little brother to my 89 xj,its got 300k on the clock, I'd like to build this thing mainly for street use and some mild to medium wheeling. It has 235/75/15's and some sacked out suspension. I'd like to get it about an inch or two over stock,remove thr rear sway bar, cut the fenders front and back, and bumpstop for 31's. Going for maximum droop.

-Wondering what some of you are running for coils and leafs to maintain good ride at or a little above stock ( rather not run spacers up front, or blocks/ add-a-leafs in the back)

-what to run in the way of disconnects, or what to do to the stockers to make them disconectable/ connectable

-and any other tips, tricks, links for guys runnin 31's on little or no lift

2-12.jpg

and my main rig:
DesktopBackground.jpg

jeepmods022.jpg

Last edited:
V8 ZJ coils and some rear shackles will give you about 1.5" and a nice ride. Trim the fenders a bit and you are all set for 31s.

I've heard of people replacing the stock lower sway bar link bolts with cotter pin bolt thingys.

cut cut cut pie cut the rear the whole lip go sick in the front. spacers and shakles the stock springs have a good rate to them so they will flex great .no sway bars get proper shocks and go play i have 265 75s on mine stock with sway bars and i can stuff the rear all the way ..also on stock rims so i rub a little.front NO flex

totally doable if you bumpstop and trim appropriately, I know ktm racer 419 on here has run *at least* 36s on 2" of lift before. As he put it, "almost no uptravel but it'd flex a tire into the mantle of the earth" so I guess it performed pretty well.

went 2 inches (1-3/4 spacers and 2 inch shackles) $96 bucks so far

this is how I first did it:
muddyjeep.jpg

2" spacer, 2" block, trimming, 31's. Rubbed at full stuff and heavy load with bumps, didn't trim any metal. If I were to do it again I would do this- take your existing leafs and cut the centerbolt, add a full xj pack to your existing main (trimming off the bushing but making sure it fully supports your main leaf) and add this (gives you about 2"s if you added a good leaf set, or just replace the 3rd leaf in the pack with the 2nd of your old one. Then I would use zj v8 coils for the front and then just hammer the lip of the front and rear quarter panel over or bumpstop accordingly. Add some appropriate shocks and you got yourself a nice setup. Here is my xj with a similar setup only with 3" coils no trimming:
1594445335258833060.jpg

was great on the street and very capable. Had rustys 3" coils and shocks but other then that stock leafs (used a small black at the time) and stock arms, stock tracbar etc. Was very flexy.

PS you should get after market rims with some back spacing. 31x10.5 will barley rub on your stock lower control arms at full lock.

Last edited:
Well went with 1/3/4 spacers and a extra set of isolators, 2 inch chevy 2wd drop shackles, netted about 3" in the rear.Was able to re-use the front shocks as they are newer,added a go-jeep style shock extension I made, Rear shocks I think I'll just move to the axle tube as they are limiting my rear downtravel .Heres a few other things done so far:front raised flairs and cut off extra metal, folded seam in inner fender well, cut front bumper for clearance. The xj had a motorhome tow setup on it, I cut it off leaving The brackets on either frame-rail and drilled and installed some 3/4" shackles.

Things to do: rear quarter cut and fold, clearance cut bumper, bumpstop the rear once I get the shocks dealt with, bumpstop front. look for a front aussie, make some sway bar disco's and test it out!

here is two more pics from yesterday:
2-13.jpg

baby.jpg

**note, no fricken snow up here in Southern B.C. Canada, what the heck mother nature?**

Last edited:
Back