• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to automatic

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
How hard is the swap from a manual 98 XJ to an auto? I've got a complete 96 automatic for the donor vehicle.

Well, I guess I should say, is this possible since i've got a complete auto donor.

Yes it is possible. People do it all the time. Ideally you need the wiring harness and computers from the donor vehicle. Don't forget the brake pedal, shifter and floor piece that the mechanical shifter mounts too. There is also the option of a stand alone shift controller too, but you would still need the floor shifter. Do a search, I've seen several write ups about it here and on other sites.

R.DesJardin is correct. I did it. Try to get the harness behind the dash to for the power button too. Also get the buttons for it too. Also if your jeep is lifted keep the rear drive line. It is a tad bit longer. Get the auto front one. The manual front drive line is shorter than automatic ones.

Quite possible. I think you will also need the different shifter linkages for your transfer case, lucky you having a complete donor.

PS once you swap everything over you can probably sell the stack of stuff you pulled out of the manual one for a pretty good sum on here if it's all in good shape, automatic to manual conversions are harder to find parts for I believe.

Ok... I'm gonna be that guy...

Manual XJ's are not nearly as common as autos, and desirable to some. Why not sell/trade your MT 98 for an AT equipped one?

Ya, I got the complete donor because I bought it off a Naxja member quite a bit ago and has just been sitting with a number of issues that just kept piling on. Just found a great deal on a 98 manual that's got a couple issues. Cosmetic damage on the front bumper/grill/fender, dead clutch, intermittent heater and slow window.

However, it's supposed to run great, and only has 103k miles =) His asking price is too good to give up. Going on Sunday to check it out and hopefully take it home.

Figure it'd be a great start to a future long lasting family fun rig. Just needed to make sure this was all possible.

Ya, I got the complete donor because I bought it off a Naxja member quite a bit ago and has just been sitting with a number of issues that just kept piling on. Just found a great deal on a 98 manual that's got a couple issues. Cosmetic damage on the front bumper/grill/fender, dead clutch, intermittent heater and slow window.

However, it's supposed to run great, and only has 103k miles =) His asking price is too good to give up. Going on Sunday to check it out and hopefully take it home.

Figure it'd be a great start to a future long lasting family fun rig. Just needed to make sure this was all possible.

when it comes to automotives, anything is possible. it depends on your abilities, time, tools, and budget.

i have seen a few 97+s around here. I have seen a lot of pre 97s that were manuals. heck i have 1 and the one my SIL is getting is a 87.

Back