• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD SYE Kit Questions

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to order a HD SYE kit and axle shims (or longer shackles) and have a few questions.

1. Does the PORC HD SYE come with a new rear output bearing?
  2. Would a 6 degree shim point the pinion a hair under the TC output? I have around 3-3.5" of lift.
  3. I read that some early NP231 produced from 1987 – 1990 have the vacuum switch for the front axle disconnect housed in the rear output shaft housing, and that a new SYE housing does not allow for the vacuum switch to be reused. Does anyone have a picture of this so I can make sure that I don't have it?

Sorry if they are dumb questions. I'm pretty sure the PORC kit comes with an output bearing, but have 6 degree axle shims worked well for anyone with an auto, np231, SYE, and rear CV shaft? I really suck at math.

Sorry if they are dumb questions. I'm pretty sure the PORC kit comes with an output bearing, but have 6 degree axle shims worked well for anyone with an auto, np231, SYE, and rear CV shaft? I really suck at math.

I have a 3.5" RE kit, auto trans, NP231, Advanced Adapters HD SYE kit, Tom Wood double cardan rear driveshaft, and used 6 degree shims with my 8.25 rear. No problems whatsoever.

just look at your front axle and see if you have the disconnect type. its a big bulky chunk of iron on the back of the passenger side axle tube. if you got it just through a posi lock on it. or another axle.

just look at your front axle and see if you have the disconnect type. its a big bulky chunk of iron on the back of the passenger side axle tube. if you got it just through a posi lock on it. or another axle.

I do have a vacuum disconnect front axle, but I just found a write-up that seems to show I CAN keep the vacuum disco system just by cutting down the shaft that pushes on the vacuum switch.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f22/sye-install-pics-967/

Sweet! Screw that $200 posi lock.. for now, at least.

Measurements amongst different lift manufacturers (and even amongst stock XJ's for that matter) vary so much that you should use other's experiences only as a guideline. Best bet would be to install the SYE and new driveshaft, take your angle measurements, and then order the proper shims for your application. I know it means a few days of running with bad driveline angles, but that is really the only surefire way to get the right shims.

Back