• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

down pipe

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the down pipe as I replace the manifold.

I am not sure if I should buy replacement down pipe from advance auto parts (walker) because they dont have that big dent in the down pipe

I am not sure if its worth the investment? I have new exhaust manifold (APN), o2 sensor, muffler and tail pipe and a used catalystic converter. I would get it if it will help with MPG

any thoughts???? !!!1

are you lifted? the dent is for driveshaft clearence. most people dont want the dent. i would get it without the dent and let it "self clearence" itself.

I got a idea about this, I will get this taken care of for next to nothing... I hope

I will cut the dent out of the downpipe then I'll weld with a piece of "undented" tube/plate over where I cut the dent out.

If the U-joint/yoke hit the down pipe too easy, I might will lift it about 2" to clear it.

Last edited:
I got a idea about this, I will get this taken care of for next to nothing... I hope

I will cut the dent out of the downpipe then I'll weld with a piece of "undented" tube/plate over where I cut the dent out.

If the U-joint/yoke hit the down pipe too easy, I might will lift it about 2" to clear it.

Don't forget longer bumpstops or you will still hit under suspension compression.

Is the dent in the pipe that big of a deal? Does it make any difference? I have never seen this dent so I dont know how big it is or where it is.

big deal? not really.

the dent has a small effect on exhaust flow.

the dent on my 89 is right after the exhaust manifold connection on the downpipe.

yeah, i have the same dent, where i flexed the suspension a little too much and the pinion yoke on the front axle hit it. i had a hooker header for a while, and it almost hit the axle even with 4.5" of lift, on flat ground! needless to say, i didn't keep it long.

my downpipe def isn't stainless. I don't think the dent does too much though. I wish it wasn't there, but i don't think its worth too much effort to do away with.

i believe the downpipe and exhaust manifold on my 89 is stainless. no rust on either.

thats sweet, i very well may have an aftermarket non-stainless one from the po. I wish i didn't, and i wonder what happened to the stainless one, unless they just went to cheaper material later on, mines a 99.

When I replaced my exhaust manifold I cut out the dented section and welded in a non-dented section to replace it, very simple and cost nothing but about 20 minutes. Go for it, it's not hard.

I didnt take care of the dent because i dont have any lift, but might will in future.. because I dont want to get rid of the dent then I somehow bottom out and have the yokes hit the down pipe so hard that will causes carnages.

here the dent I was talking about..

dent.jpg

dent2.jpg

dent3.jpg

I'm pretty sure that jeep didn't offer a stainless down pipe. With the cheapo exhaust they put on them the rest of the way, I would have a hard time believing the oem would put on a stainless down pipe.

i dont know, but the only thing stock on my exhaust on my 89 is the down pipe. its the only part other then the manifold that hasnt rusted away.

Back