• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross memeber position for each engine/transmission combo

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
I thought this might be useful, and i'm curious too.

The cross member in our XJs has 2 positions, one forward and one aft. If you crawl under your cherokee you will see that there is an extra set of holes. The position of the crossmember is dictated by the engine and transmission combination.

In my experience:

In my '94 2.5/ax5/np231 combo the position ware forward. There is also an extended bracket that goes between the transmission and the transmission mount.

In my 87 4.0/ba10-5/np231 the crossmember is also in the forward position.

I believe the 4.0/aw4/np231 combo will put the crossmember in the rear position.

What combo do you have, and where does your xmember fall?

The 4.0L-AX-15 combination will also put the crossmember in the rear set of holes.

I do not believe that 2WD/4WD is a factor, apart from the mount pad for the transmission being on the tailshaft housing (tailcone or transfer case adapter.)

However, I also find this topic interesting, and I'll keep an eye on it. I have a feeling that the AX-4 and AX-5 will share a common mounting position (I believe they share cases, and the primary difference is overdrive.) I'd particularly like to hear from early XJ owners with the T4 or T5 transmission - since that's the only one I haven't seen in situ as of yet...

Back