• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Replacement

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
OK,

I am getting ready to replace my radiator on my '96 XJ with A/C & manual 5 speed trans. 4L inline 6 engine.

I am planning on replacing otherthings as well when I get the suff appart.

1. Radiator - O'Rileys - Godan Inc - $200 - lifetime warranty (brass and copper construction 3 core)
2. Upper / Lower Radiator hoses - O'Rileys
3. Water Pump - O'Rileys - $35 - lifetime warranty

Other things I know should come from dealership

1. Clutch Fan
2. Iddler bearing assembly just below the A/C
3. Thermostat
4. tensioning pully

What other things do I need to worry about ?

Tom Dennis

Is that a dealer only part for the vibration dampener.

I did look at it when I was replacing my slave clutch cylinder and it seemed to look OK

Tom Dennis

That Godan Inc radiator is a GDI, internet special price is like $99-$107 or thereabouts for the same thing. Water pump I would use dealer only, I don't care if I can get if for $20-$40 cheaper if I have to replace it every two years. Hoses are a toss up, the factory hoses will lay flat and be better fitted than some aftermarket ones, make sure the lower hose has a spring in it to prevent it from collapsing.
New belt is also a good idea, keep your old one for a spare under the rear seat.

I just replaced the belt last year so it should be good.

Funny that they are charging $100 extra for the GDI radiator. I would pay that for a Modine if I can find them.

Radiator conversion

I just did the same thing,here's the list
1.GDI 3 core (open sys).............$140.00 w/lifetime wnty
2.Water pump $0.......................exchange lifetime warranty
3.hoses,clamps,t stat recovery bottle Prestone antifreeze
2 gal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$60 n change.
Recovery bottle came w/ 5/16" clear tubing but I opted for gasline hose and the stock tubing was too short.
4.New heater control valve.......$16.00.
To get the open system the radiator has to be for a 91' as does the heater valve.

Anthropy said:
Is that a dealer only part for the vibration dampener.

I did look at it when I was replacing my slave clutch cylinder and it seemed to look OK

Tom Dennis

I'm really not sure, but I am assuming it's a dealer part. I just did my radiator (got tired of having to turn on the heat every time I went up a hill) and was planning to use a spare with a healthy looking rubber damper, and then noticed that there was wear on the sealing surface, so I decided my old one isn't bad enough. If it looks intact and doesn't visibly wobble it's probably all right.

Anyway, I found that on the 95 I can pull the radiator up and out of the way without even disconnecting the hoses, especially after tossing the a/c condenser, so the job will be easy enough when I get around to it (which, knowing me, will probably be when chunks of the pulley start flying through the grille :) )

Thanks guys - I will look into those sources. I missed calling NAPA yesterday.

Tom Dennis

Back