• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveline Vibes with SYE, pinion angle set...

jk_surgeonfish

NAXJA Forum User
Ok... pulling my hair out here. I did a tailshaft conversion on my 99 Cherokee and put on a 3103-27CV yoke on the rear tailshaft. Then measured and had a new rear CV Drive shaft built for the correct length.

I know that after doing this conversion my rear pinion angle would be off and would require a shim under the leaf pack.

Prior to the shim I measured a DS angle of 12* and Pinion angle of 6*. So based off that I figured a 4* shim would get me where I need to be. I put the 4* shim in place and drove it. Silky smooth all the way till I get up near 65mph and then it sounds like a freight train.

I remeasured this morning and found my rear DS is 14* and rear pinion is 10* (which confirms that my first pinion measurement of 6* was right, 6*+ 4* shim = 10*). At this point I am like WTH? I either measured it wrong the first time or something. I was measuring using a socket with my angle finder on the bearing cap for both DS angle and Pinion Angle.

Here are the current angles with a 4* Shim in place: Transmission: 4*, Rear Drive Shaft: 14* (measured in middle of DS this time), Rear Pinion: 10*.

I'm guessing that I need to pull the 4* shim and put a 6* shim right?

This seems like a lot for only have a 2.5 inch lift in front and 2 in the rear? Any advice is appreciated.

NOTE: No vibes with rear DS removed, so it is not the front ds, not the tires or some bearing.

pics of driveline and pinion?

I had this same issue and it was the output bearing in transfercase.

No pics... not sure they would help. Looks like a regular driveline and differential.

How can you tell if the output bearing is bad? With the DS disconnected there is no movement in the tailshaft or leakage of any kind. Also, with the DS removed and the engine running in gear the tailshaft spins centered and no wobble. I would think that if the bearing was bad I would see vibes in low mph as well.

With a CV shaft you want 1-3 degrees (depending on who you ask and how stiff your rear leafs are) between the pinion and the driveshaft, not 4... that's probably at least part of the problem.

With a CV shaft you want 1-3 degrees (depending on who you ask and how stiff your rear leafs are) between the pinion and the driveshaft, not 4... that's probably at least part of the problem.

Yes, I agree should be between 1-3. I just find it odd that a small lift would require 6* shim.

Yes, I agree should be between 1-3. I just find it odd that a small lift would require 6* shim.
Have you verified your lift amount? Mine started out as 3.5" using HD OME leafs listed for 2" lift, it's settled in somewhat now that I've carted some heavy stuff around for a while. Measure from the bottom edges of your rear fender flares to the centers of the wheels, subtract 17", that's how much lift you actually got. Same trick works for the front except use 17.5" instead.

Springs breaking in / settling is a great reason (in my mind) to not do an SYE or shim your axle till a few months after the lift, that way you don't have to fix it again as soon as it breaks in.

Have you verified your lift amount? Mine started out as 3.5" using HD OME leafs listed for 2" lift, it's settled in somewhat now that I've carted some heavy stuff around for a while. Measure from the bottom edges of your rear fender flares to the centers of the wheels, subtract 17", that's how much lift you actually got. Same trick works for the front except use 17.5" instead.

Springs breaking in / settling is a great reason (in my mind) to not do an SYE or shim your axle till a few months after the lift, that way you don't have to fix it again as soon as it breaks in.

I've had the lift off for about 3 months. Then did the SYE this week. Mine measures 19.5 front and and 19 Rear.

I have a similar setup in my 96...
front xj ds, all new ujoints, 8.25 axle. I only have vibes around 30-35mph and 60+ mph. I thought the 8.25 was supposed to correct any angle differences from the d35 and xj ds.

Ok... pulling my hair out here. I did a tailshaft conversion on my 99 Cherokee and put on a 3103-27CV yoke on the rear tailshaft. Then measured and had a new rear CV Drive shaft built for the correct length.

I know that after doing this conversion my rear pinion angle would be off and would require a shim under the leaf pack.

Prior to the shim I measured a DS angle of 12* and Pinion angle of 6*. So based off that I figured a 4* shim would get me where I need to be. I put the 4* shim in place and drove it. Silky smooth all the way till I get up near 65mph and then it sounds like a freight train.

I remeasured this morning and found my rear DS is 14* and rear pinion is 10* (which confirms that my first pinion measurement of 6* was right, 6*+ 4* shim = 10*). At this point I am like WTH? I either measured it wrong the first time or something. I was measuring using a socket with my angle finder on the bearing cap for both DS angle and Pinion Angle.

Here are the current angles with a 4* Shim in place: Transmission: 4*, Rear Drive Shaft: 14* (measured in middle of DS this time), Rear Pinion: 10*.

I'm guessing that I need to pull the 4* shim and put a 6* shim right?

This seems like a lot for only have a 2.5 inch lift in front and 2 in the rear? Any advice is appreciated.

NOTE: No vibes with rear DS removed, so it is not the front ds, not the tires or some bearing.

You definately measured wrong as your driveshaft angle would decrease as you rotate the pinion up!

It needs to look like this when you are done, or minus one or two degrees if you prefer.

IMG_0295.jpg

Back