• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 1st gear hold switch problems....

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
ok first off i have a 98 chero with the aw4 and i am in the process of wiring up a first gear hold and a tc lock switch as per this writeup for the firsthold and gojeep's setup for the tc lock. After the wire job the gear hold works but its weird, the power to the switch is intermittent, sometimes the light will flash and sometimes it will stay solid but it is holding gear the way i want when in first, as for the tc lock it doesn't work at all. heres the prob though, the tc unlocks at very low trhottle going down the highway and all the kickdown shifts are F****d basically its turned the tcu into a random number generator as far as if the tc will lock or not as well as whether it will kickdown properly. any help from the aw4 gurus would be appreciated as i would really like to have this system in the jeep but still want the trans to function like normal when driving around town and on the highway

Last edited:
well check your wiring and your grounds for the intermitent light and tc lock those should work if you have it wired correctly. as for the improper kickdown and tc lockup at speed. you should adjust your (improperly refered to as kickdown cable) at the TB

well it seemed to have fixed itself it drove like a dream on the way to the shop today and the tc lock works only in 3rd gear when the tcu normally allows the tc to go into lock :dunno: so i'm just gonna leave it for now, the tc lock is gravy what i really wanted was the 1st hold switch and it seems to be working

Back