• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a 1-ton tie rod end with stock taper?

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
Next mod for me is to upgrade my stock toothpick tie rod. I thought about the ZJ tie rod, but liked the idea of building my own with DOM tube.

After going through our tap/die collection at work, I couldn't find LH taps for other common TRE thread sizes like 3/4-16 or 11/16-18. But I found both RH and LH taps for 7/8-18 thread which is the same for 1-ton tie rod ends.

At the moment, I'm not willing to ream out the knuckles for a larger taper and I'm keeping the stock inverted-Y setup. Mainly I would like to take advantage of the larger diameter of the tie rod tube and not having to spend money on 2 taps. Is there a set of 7/8-18 TRE's with stock XJ taper? Part numbers or donor vehicle info would be great.

I use ES2848 and ES2848L tie rods that have 3/4" thread tie rod ends (right and left). I think most of the manufacturers use that part number - I've had Moog and Spicer in that part number/size before.

They have the stock taper, but obviously more beefy in size.....

But trying to use the RH and LH taps already available to me which is 7/8-18. Anyone else?

Yes, TeraFlex makes them for their upgraded steering system. One ton size with 7/8" thread and the stock Jeep taper. They will sell just the TRE's. I have looked, and there is no stock application replacement for them, they are custom made by Tera.

Back