• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Steering column and cruise control?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
On my 1989 XJ, which has cruise control, but the previous owner cut the wire coming out of the stalk, and the steering wheel is not on straight. My guess is that they thought they had a issue with the key switch ( which was actually the transmission position switch).
I see the wheel comes off with the nut, but how do I install a new cruise control switch? Also, anything else the PO might of done to the steering column? The turn signals seem to work fine!!! so that's nice!!!
Should I just go pull the switch and parts out of the junk yard?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Wire cut off flush so you can't solder it back together?

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your response,
YEP, not enough slack to join the wires. It looks like 3-4 wires inside the black sleeve.

I did think about that.:looney:
Bob

you can also adjust the steering up front, don't know what its called but goes from the pitman to spindle, steering rod maybe

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your response,
YEP, not enough slack to join the wires. It looks like 3-4 wires inside the black sleeve.

I did think about that.:looney:
Bob

I've always got to ask! :D

Yeah, salvage yard a switch.

If I get a switch from the yard, can I snake the wire down or do I need to pull the wheel off and inner turn signal switch?

I could tape a wire onto the old wire, just not sure how big the connector is that has to be feed down the column.

Thanks again for the help,
Bob

Back