• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC Keys

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Well my AMC key to open the doors broke- How many times had i told myself to make a copy!!!! A few dealerships say that cant cut a key off my vin because its too old (87) What now? what are my options?
thanks

The locks are not to hard to replace, you have to take the door panel off but its not bad. long needle nose to pull off the keeper, then pull it out enough to unhook the rod put the new one on and push it back in the hole and put the keeper back in. I had to do it for the first time a few weeks ago, took me an hour to do the first side but I didnt know to take off the keeper first, 15 minutes to do the other side, Heres a place you can get 2 locks and 2 keys for $25.
http://www.teamcherokee.com/Locks_and_Keys/index.htm
Good Luck

Thanks for the reply but i already have good locks....just need a key. Is this the only way? What about the rear hatch lock? same kind of lock as the front doors?

Either have a locksmith come out and "impression" a key (they take a blank that fits a keyway, and then use either smoke or a dye to show "wear spots" on the key and file to fit. You can do it yourself, with a little patience (practise on a lock for which you have a key - perhaps the front door or a padlock you can get a blank for. You won't need to do anything to the lock but put the key in and take it back out.)

Or, have the locks replaced (if you can get into the vehicle.) You'll be able to source new locks from a well-organised parts house - at least for the doors - and then you can have the liftgate and glove box re-keyed to fit the new key.

I'd go with impressioning, but I've got some small practise at it, and I know what's involved. Impressioning is fairly easy once you've done it once or twice - and having a "known good" key and lock to work with will allow you to judge the function of your new key against the one you had before. There's some small tolerance in locks (that's how they work, how they can be picked, and how they can, in some cases, be "bumped,") and you can use that to your advantage.

5-90

If your good ( have steady hands and good eyesite) you can take the tumbler apart and rearrage the pins and make it match just about any key that will fit in the slot.
Or take the broken key to a locksmith and he can put the two halves in the key cutter clamp and try to produce a good key.
I imagine it may also be possible to get a key code from the position and numbers of the the tumbler pins.
Pull out a door lock and take it to a locksmith, he should be able to produce a key from your tumbler. It's a Chevy tumbler, pretty standard stuff, there is millions of them out there.
Many times when you buy a new tumbler it's a blank and you have to rearrange the pins to match your key, I see no reason the reverse process won't work.
If you need to get into your XJ (locked yourself out) the easiest way I've found is to find something long and ridgid (I've used my CB whip antenna, another time my entire collecting of rifle cleaning rods). Pried open the door at the top corner and pushed the lock button on the opposite side. Prying the door open at the top corner, isn't that big of a deal, two large screwdrivers wraped in tape to protect the paint. A small wooden wedge (like a door stop) also comes in handy. Be carefull not to mess up the door rubber.

Last edited:
I would try the locksmith if you want to keep the same key. If you have the original key number in the owners manual or you have the peice of key they can cut a new key with a Curtis key cutter. If neither of those are available run the vin thru the dealer & see if they can get the number of the key then take that to the locksmith.

SUA SPONTE said:
Thanks for the reply but i already have good locks....just need a key. Is this the only way? What about the rear hatch lock? same kind of lock as the front doors?
Haha, that statement is the equivalant of saying I have a great looking girlfriend, she just won't sleep with me.:)
I have been though this, good luck with the locksmith, be prepared to be charged for their services. Otherwise change out the locks and keys like I stated earlier,(team Cherokees is not a blank cylinder FYI) Seems easier than some of the other responses. Good Luck

A locksmith will charge about $35.00 if he can make it with the broken key and about $70.00 if he has to make it from scratch. This is at your home, if you take the broken key to him it will be much less.

UM HELLO JUST TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL ACE HARDWARE OR LOCKSMITH AND THEY WILL CUT A BRAND NEW KEY!
I just cut 4 each for my 85 and 88

langer1 said:
A locksmith will charge about $35.00 if he can make it with the broken key and about $70.00 if he has to make it from scratch. This is at your home, if you take the broken key to him it will be much less.

Its obviously a lot cheaper in Ohio, In Florida, the cheapest I found in my area, to have locksmith come on out and cut a "new" key.... $175...

They can make a key from the two pieces..no problem. Why did the key break in the first place? Is it going to happen again. If you are in doubt I'd just go with the TeamCherokee OEM lock sets.
While you have the locks out it may be a good time to clean and lubricate your latch assy.

1985xjlaredo said:
UM HELLO JUST TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL ACE HARDWARE OR LOCKSMITH AND THEY WILL CUT A BRAND NEW KEY!
I just cut 4 each for my 85 and 88

the other problem with that, is that most renix era keys are VERY worn by now. a copy of a worn key won't help anyone. some key machines can compensate for wear, but not all areas of the key wear equally. the best bet is probably to take the lock cylinder out and have a new key made to that tumbler arrangement. or have a mobile locksmith come out to do it.

They dont even need the part you hold they just need the cut part of the key.

Back