• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Angle Tnt Customs 6"

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I have a quick question. What are you guys running for a pinion angle for those running TnT customs Y-link. I have 6" of lift and the arms are adjustable, so if you guys have a number so I can ball park. I wrote it down before I took off my other arms but lost it. Thanks, Juice

I dont remember what the angle is but the iunstructions for the Y-Link install has all the info for you to get the caster set right then you should be good for your pinion angle.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe stock was 6.5*. I ended up with mine at about 5* to get rid of vibrations from my driveshaft. I'm at about 7" of lift. I used Gojeep's write up for setting the angle and doing my own alignment after I installed my TnT LA's. I'm not sure if that's the same way you would normally take a pinion angle reading...

I have the same kit as you. I have a bout 6.5"-7" of lift.

The pinion angle is not what you need to worry about. It's the castor you need to worry about. I have my castor set at aproximately 5.5* (thats degrees). Stock is 6.5-7* pinion is at about 3.5* to 4* under. Unless your in 4wheel drive you wont notice the pinion angle so much.

The main reason you need to set the castor instead of the pinion;

With the pinion set at optimum, the yoke will hit the upper control arm (Y-link) at full drivers stuff. If you dont belive me, diconnect and try it. I followed that same train of thought when I installed mine and ended up binding the driveshaft and breaking my front yoke on the upper control arm.

Another critical adjustment is the track bar setting. If you try to center the axle, it will only compound the chances of the pinion yoke contact with the UCA. It REALLY needs to set about 1/4" to the driver side. (again, ask me how I know.)

I hope this helps you a little bit. If you have any more questions, pm me. I'll help as much as I can.

Aaron

99xjache said:
I have the same kit as you. I have a bout 6.5"-7" of lift.

The pinion angle is not what you need to worry about. It's the castor you need to worry about. I have my castor set at aproximately 5.5* (thats degrees). Stock is 6.5-7* pinion is at about 3.5* to 4* under. Unless your in 4wheel drive you wont notice the pinion angle so much.

The main reason you need to set the castor instead of the pinion;

With the pinion set at optimum, the yoke will hit the upper control arm (Y-link) at full drivers stuff. If you dont belive me, diconnect and try it. I followed that same train of thought when I installed mine and ended up binding the driveshaft and breaking my front yoke on the upper control arm.

Another critical adjustment is the track bar setting. If you try to center the axle, it will only compound the chances of the pinion yoke contact with the UCA. It REALLY needs to set about 1/4" to the driver side. (again, ask me how I know.)

I hope this helps you a little bit. If you have any more questions, pm me. I'll help as much as I can.

Aaron
Yeah, I should have said that my castor angle was 5*, not my pinion.

I had to go for a better pinion angle rather than castor, but I have no clearance problems. I've heard of other guys with the kit that had clearance issues with the driveshaft, but for some reason that wasn't an issue for me. I even have play in the track bar mount, so my front axle is sitting about 3/4" to the passengers side at some times. I've never had a problem with the yoke hitting the arm. Maybe I just got lucky?

Back