• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rpm's sticking in 4th gear with Aw4

96NYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well it was hard to describe in the title but in my 96 with 31's and 3.55 gears with the AW4 i have been having a little problem in the 4th gear right when it shifts around 45mph.

What happens is when it shifts at about 45mph everything works as normal and it goes down to about 1 1/2 rpm. But when i press on the gas more after that the car does not go faster nor does the rpms seem to move. If i let off the gas completely and then press down again they will go up and down as normal. Also if i press down a lot almost flooring it then they will go up as well, but jump right to about 3k~.

Not really a huge problem right now as i am not on the highway much but was wondering what it could be. Maybe something is dirty or the TPS? I have no idea but thanks for the help. Hope i explained it well enough for you.

TPS is very common on these, not saying that's what it is, but it's worth testing. Got a meter? Backprobe the signal wire on the TPS and sweep idle to WOT (engine off of course) and make sure it's a nice, even voltage rise with no jumps or opens.

Try adjusting the throttle body cable to the transmission.

Do a search, lots of threads on it.

im having the same problem as your are right now after i changed my trans solenoids. what should i be looking for when i adjust the throttle body cable? do i just adjust and test drive and hope it works? i checked my tps and it goes from a little over 0 to a little under 5 like normal.

Back